• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

quercetin as anti-TNF?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Our old friends the Mast Cells release TNF:
Human dermal mast cells contain and release tumor necrosis factor alpha, which induces endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule 1.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC51630/ 1991

It's preformed and stored, not made to order. Also:
Among normal human dermal cells, mast cells are the predominant cell type that expresses both TNF-alpha protein and TNF-alpha mRNA. Moreover, induction of endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule 1 expression is a direct consequence of release of mast cell-derived TNF-alpha. These findings establish a role for human mast cells as "gatekeepers" of the dermal microvasculature and indicate that mast cell products other than vasoactive amines influence endothelium in a proinflammatory fashion.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
free full texts:
The Flavonoid Quercetin Inhibits Proinflammatory Cytokine (Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha) Gene Expression in Normal Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells via Modulation of the NF-κβ System 2006
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1391952/
(that's in vitro)

Quercetin Inhibits TNF-Induced NF-kB Transcription Factor Recruitment to Proinflammatory Gene Promoters in Murine Intestinal Epithelial Cells 2007
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/137/5/1208.full.pdf
(that's in ratso)

I don't personally think it's usually all that useful to focus on pathways, but I immediately noticed that both studies refer to Akt (aka Protein Kinase B). Now, Akt is very desirable in muscle building circles, because it signals a cell to begin Muscle Protein Synthesis. But what does it do in a PWC who gets pain right in the middle of an exercise session? Could it be that using quercetin before exercise blocks TNF and Akt and so:
  • no muscle-building benefit happens
  • but the bad effects of weight-lifting are greatly lessened? even as other exercise benefits (aside from muscle building) do occur
[also, it seems that resveratrol seems to have previously been the champ at TNF suppression, but quercetin might be better]

pine108kell

Of the dozens and dozens of things I've tried quercetin is the only supplement that can make me feel a little better. nothing miraculous but takes the edge of sometimes and can help sleep.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I agree that quercetin has a lot of potential benefits and I have taken it in the past. But how do you get around its affect of slowing down phase one detox? This may be good for some people (and could contribute to feeling better) but my phase one is already slow.

Sushi

perchance dreamer

I wish I could take quercetin since it's supposed to be so good for allergies. But if I take it even as soon as I get up in the morning, I can't sleep at night.