• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Puzzling Iron Response

So I began playing around with the idea that I could be low in iron, I never considered this in the 3+ years I've been trying to treat my issues supplementally / medicinally. I did some research and I found that you can have normal CBC's but subclinically low ferritin and that can cause issue, and that bacteria or viruses can cause a falsely high ferritin count as it puts it in the serum or something, I'd have to look into my notes to see the detail. In any case, I decided to do a short trial run just to see if anything magical happened in a week, why not? I realize the dangers of doing this for long term and I don't use it anymore, so don't be alarmed! I'm aware.

My response though was interesting. I tend to feel like my face muscles are moderately shut down, and when iron kicked in (typically 3-4 hours after dosing ~18 mg Ferrous Bis-Glycinate) my eyes started to open up like I could control them for the first time, the heavy dense feeling in my face dissipated, I could smile much more easily and natural, and I started to feel warm, my body started to buzz and feel alive, and I could communicate a lot more easily. I know iron is used in the synthesis of dopamine and I also started to feel a definite cognitive rush, it was hard to believe how good it made me feel.

This typically only lasts maximum of 45 minutes and sometimes only like 20 minutes, always a ways after dosing.

Another important thing is that my temperature rose again, up to 98.5. Typically my temperature is 97.0 +/- 0.5 or so and NOTHING will make it rise. I read that poor ferritin levels causes T4 -> T3 conversion, I've always wondered about my thyroid even though my labs are just fine. (rT3, fT3, T4, fT4, TSH). It felt like at this temperature my body was functioning much, much more normally. I really enjoyed it, I would consider myself almost in remission if that remained.

I don't want to keep dosing chasing that high as I haven't ever had my ferritin levels tested and I probably wont' be able to for a bit, but I wanted to know what people thought of this. Can anyone relate to this experience or does anything here stick out as noteworthy? Any good clues here?

Thanks

Bansaw

Great... but watch out for Potassium spikes. Iron can push up Potassium as it did with me. I had to stop my iron. Just an fyi..., you could react differently.

Richard7

my understanding is that heme iron is the only kind that is a problem.

Non heme iron is absorbed into the cells of your gut and then shed with those cells if you do not need it. Heme iron bypasses this mechanism allowing people to get too high in iron.