• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pupils constantly dilating and constricting- hard to see in light

Ivana

Yeah Ive seen a few opthalmologists, all which agree that the eyes are fine, so something else must be going on.

The pupils are going wild 24/7. Yesterday I attended a CFS support group and took off my sunglasses for a couple of hrs where there was light. Later on, i struggled with my vision so bad that it felt like my brain was moving from left to right every few minutes. I thought i was going crazy. Ive had my blood sugar levels checked, all is fine with that. Both KDM and Dr Lewis told me its a result of everything thats going on inside my body and its likely to settle when things calm down.. I just hope theyre right :S

I really hope you're progressing well and conquering your Lyme disease

Athene

ihateticks.me
Yeah Ive seen a few opthalmologists, all which agree that the eyes are fine, so something else must be going on.

The pupils are going wild 24/7. Yesterday I attended a CFS support group and took off my sunglasses for a couple of hrs where there was light. Later on, i struggled with my vision so bad that it felt like my brain was moving from left to right every few minutes. I thought i was going crazy. Ive had my blood sugar levels checked, all is fine with that. Both KDM and Dr Lewis told me its a result of everything thats going on inside my body and its likely to settle when things calm down.. I just hope theyre right :S

I really hope you're progressing well and conquering your Lyme disease

Hi Ivana!

I'm really sorry to hear it is so bad, and I do hope the Dr.s are right and that it will settle down as you progress with your treatment.
Do you have neurological problems in other parts of your body? Twiches/bad coordination/tingling/numbness/vibrations? If it's a neurological thing then I would have thought you'd have problems elsewhere too... and if so, Magnesium should be able to help a bit. And Calcium with vitamin K (which places it in the nerves). They're both essential for nerve health. Just a thought.

Thanks for your good wishes! I am making progress but slowly, and keep having to experiment with add-on treatments to the antibiotics. But I'm optimistic.

Ivana

Hi Athene

I'm glad to hear you're progressing, I really do hope it all gets better soon.

I do have neurological symptoms in other parts of my body.. i get a lot of twitches, jerks etc.. but it's hard to tell as I lie down at home all day so its kept at a minimum. Like i said, when I was exposed to light a few days ago, it made the 'feeling of brain moving' much worse.. What sort of Magnesium do u recommend? Tablets, sub-lingual spray etc? Im suprised my doctors didn't mention this one to me.

Besh wishes and stay optimistic (for me its getting harder and harder every day to do so)

Ivana

Athene

ihateticks.me
I take magnesium tablets, which are a mix of various types of organic magnesium. (mag citrate, mag malate, and one other that I cannot remember) They definitely get absorbed better than a single type of organic mag. Don't have magnesium oxide, that is useless. I take 900mg a day, it's a high dose but lower doses are not enough. My doc said up to 1,000mg daily is OK.

I tried magnesium sulfate cream but that was not OK for me as I have sulfur problems, but apparently that is a great way to absorb it for those who are OK with sulphur. I haven't tried sublingual spray, I would bet that is another good way to take it. Maybe we should start a thread about forms of magnesium to get the best advice?

I'm also surprised your doc's haven't mentioned magnesium. My doc says it is vital. I have run out a couple of times and I get so bad in just thre days that I keep falling down stairs, breaking things, endlessly hurting myself, it is truly awful, I can hardly function without it. So long as I stay on that dose my co-ordination is really not too bad, and I don't get any twitches or tingling at all.

Hi Ivana,
I'm a bit late reading this but i have this problem only in one eye (my migraine side) so i always presumed it was a symptom of my migraines rather than the ME. I have one eye completely normal and the other pupil dilates and constricts rapidly almost daily. I'm never aware of it at the time. I also used to have the twitching eyes from side to side rapidly when really exhausted but this hasn't happened for a few years i think. Hope you found some relief.

taniaaust1

I also used to have the twitching eyes from side to side rapidly when really exhausted but this hasn't happened for a few years i think. Hope you found some relief.

i used to have that too esp when exhausted. I didnt tend to be thou aware that it was happening when going on.. till others told me it was happening. Mine like yours goes side to side rapidly. The condition is called Nystagmus..usually in our case caused by the loss of muscle control. http://www.eyeassociates.com/images/understanding_nystagmus.htm

Yeah i read about that.. but mine fluctuate all the time, even if ive got sunglasses or tinted contacts on, when i get family members to look closely- they still see them fluctuating. Also, when theres a lot of light (and the pupil should be small), mine are huge.. Im a bit worried coz this happens all day every day, and i have to wear sunnies indoors, even when something as small as a lamp is on.
Hi Ivana,
if I got it right your pupils are not responsive to the light stimuli
When they should get smaller because of light stimuly they insetad keep their size and do not contract
I have the same issue since 2000
Sometimes I even noticed that the two pupils in the same light conditions have different size, one being greater than the other. I think ( because I was in visit by a neurologist ) that this could be either called Adie's pupil or Adie's syndrome ( they should be different things ) , and it should be investigated at neurological level. I did not get the point when you say your pupils are fluctuating in size: can you please make more examples providing more details ?
Thanks a lot

TCP36

I'm not giving up, despite the setbacks and BS!
It's to do with the autonomic dysfunction. My optometrist noted slow pupil reaction and night blindness. If you look up anything related to POTS, autonomic neuropathy etc it mentions visual issues.

TCP36

I'm not giving up, despite the setbacks and BS!
I dont know if my eyes were doing that but they were doing very strange things.. eg pupils shaking side to side, unequal pupils and my pupils responding differently to each other which some ambulance personal noted (they wrote sluggish response and one not constricting properly). At one point I was extremely light sensitive (and had to be kept in a dark room).

My eye issues I know were neurological and they arent doing it nowdays.. but were very bad when I had a lot of other neuro issues happening too eg myclonus etc (jerks/tremors)
Yes...all indicators. Bloody madness with the complicated nature of this illness!