• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Psychologists, wake up! CFS is possibly an infectious disease.

Jemal

Wow, she's really telling it like it is, for example: "It's more advantageous to tell sick people that they need to behave different than to treat them medically and give them social benefits." It would be just amazing if we could have a piece like this published in a journal in the UK. I'm very pleased for people in the Netherlands!

Toine is a he :)

Also, to be fair: Toine de Graaf has been criticised because apparently he has participated in an anti-vaccination campaign. Vaccinations are a *very* touchy subject it seems. I did a search on his name in Google and the first result I get is the website for a Dutch institution that fights quackery :) I know that institution and they do a lot of good work, but they can also be a bit fanatical.

Anyway, I am very happy with this article.

Thanks from me, too, Jemal.

Although I did like this piece of the google translation:

This 'combination therapy' in the past decade increasingly come under attack lie.

xrayspex

All we need now is the BWG And sing study, the lipkin study will just be iceing on the cake, but why do i feel its not going to ne that easy ????
For ever the worryer

It just came to my attention there are problems on those 2 fronts......Lipkin doesnt want to follow protocol the way Mikovitz and Singh say should be done to find xmrv and Switzher and Heninene are in the blood working group so that is not encouraging.

Here is info regarding what singh says and what lipkin wants to do:
singh says:
Finally, an ideal study would use at least one method that has resulted in detection of XMRV in a previous study, preferably using a set of samples that were analyzed in that same previous study and are known positives or negatives.

and the problem:

That is precisely what the NIH-sponsored Lipkin study has NOT so far proposed to do, and appears to be against Lipkin's personal philosophy of resolving conflicting results. That is a HUGE problem with that study (along with the uncertainty about what cohort he will use, especially as he seems to be collecting it himself). It is very, VERY important that the Lipkin study's design be changed to include positive samples from the WPI and from Lo/Alter, and that its test samples be collected by well-known ME/CFS clinicians such as Bell, Peterson, Komaroff, Cheney, etc..

The NIH - specifically, Francis Collins - should be urged to require Lipkin to modify his study in these two ways. Ila Singh has provided a great professional reference to back up these requests!

In a paper Lipkin wrote he gives his argument against the use of positive samples from labs that have 'found something':
Some key partners may suggest that it is easier to independently test samples previously found to be positive
than to invest in a new sample collection. This path should be
discouraged because it does not address issues of diagnostic
stability, geographic or temporal bias, or sample contamination.
-------
so houston, we have a problem.....cover up continues perhaps, unless we hit a tipping point in spite of these people's efforts

Berthe

Hi Jemal,

You did a wonderfull job translating the really encouraging article. I've read it in Dutch and it really made my day. It's nice that a journalist like Toine works together with patints and that he's willing to tell the thruth!

For xrayspex,
Would it be a good idea if the samples collected by Lipkin, also would be tested by Judy? I'm curious about these results!

Love,
Berthe

http://www.onwilliglichaam.blogspot.com