• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PrPc Functional test (Prions), help with results (Dr. De Meirleir,Redlabs)

serg1942

Hi all,

I recently got my test results from Redlabs, in Brussels, ordered by Prof. De Meirleir, and one of the more notorious abnormalities appears in the test results this way:

PrPc functional testing: 0.60 (10.00-100.00 index),

While Prof De Meirleir explains in my report:
PrPc very abnormal (misfolding of cell surface proteins)

I have read that PrPc stands for the non-pathogen prion protein, while PrPsc is the pathogenic prion protein. I also have been reading about the role of prions in certain diseases, and how they could perfectly well be formed by slow viruses like HIV (I am XMRV+).

Tomorrow I am seeing my doctor, and I would like to explain him how this test works. My guess is that somehow, if the function of the PrPc proteins is low (not sure how they measure this parameter),it is because this protein has been transformed into the pathogenic verion PrPsc?

Any help will be VERY appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Saludos,
Sergio

alex3619

Hi Serg1942, there are many reasons that proteins can misfold. Prions are just one. Unless this test is specific for a known prion, it just might be that your proteins misfold due to other reasons.

A deficiency in sulphur based aminos, and especially glutathione, can result in misfolding due to incorrect sulphur bridges - nothing can bind the protein to a new shape. Similar there are enzymatic deficiencies that might do this - as might problems with cell chemistry including pH. It does indicate you may have decreased function of the specific proteins that are folded, and it may mean you have a higher protein requirement in the diet. These issues are worth discussing with your doctor.

So this may or may not be prion related - its a warning sign from my understanding, not a sure thing. With more research, and if there is unpublished research known by KDM or those at Redlabs, then more could be said about possible prion involvement. KDM has been researching this but I don't know if he has discovered anything compelling yet. The risk is real, its just hard to be sure without finding a known prion.

Bye
Alex

lansbergen

Hi all,

I recently got my test results from Redlabs, in Brussels, ordered by Prof. De Meirleir, and one of the more notorious abnormalities appears in the test results this way:

PrPc functional testing: 0.60 (10.00-100.00 index),

While Prof De Meirleir explains in my report:
PrPc very abnormal (misfolding of cell surface proteins)

I have read that PrPc stands for the non-pathogen prion protein, while PrPsc is the pathogenic prion protein. I also have been reading about the role of prions in certain diseases, and how they could perfectly well be formed by slow viruses like HIV (I am XMRV+).

Tomorrow I am seeing my doctor, and I would like to explain him how this test works. My guess is that somehow, if the function of the PrPc proteins is low (not sure how they measure this parameter),it is because this protein has been transformed into the pathogenic verion PrPsc?

Any help will be VERY appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Saludos,
Sergio

As far as I know PrPc is usely used for the protein the PrP gene codes for.

Maybe ask at BSE-L

https://lists.aegee.org/cgi-bin/wa?A0=BSE-L