• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Protein in aspirin may reduce Alzheimer's disease risk, study suggests

valentinelynx

Wow. Bad editing or something (on the part of Fox news): aspirin does not have any proteins in it, it is just acetyl salicylic acid. As far as I can tell from this badly written article, the study (PLOS one) found that salicylic acid binds to Glyceraldehyde 3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (GADPH) preventing it from entering cells and triggering cell death, from what I gather from this badly written article. One sentence reads, "The anti-Parkinson's drug deprenyl already demonstrates GAPDH's ability to prevent entry into the nucleus and the corresponding cell death" which is totally garbled. Another says, "GAPDH primarily plays a role in glucose metabolism, but it also helps regulate plants’ immune systems." What the ?

Probably the original paper says something interesting, but I can't tell what from this summary.

trails

I agree with your assessment of the article. Its prompted me, though, to commence an internet search of related studies. I may or may not have read the study to which the article refers - I can't remember. Nevertheless, the studies I did read contained some very interesting information that may have direct relevance to CFS.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Funnily enough I was reading another Alzheimer's related article that found a correlation between reduced walking speed and the build up of amyloid plaques. Of course there could be other confounding factors and it was a cross-sectional study but it reminded me of the pathetic 6MWT results in the PACE trial.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/303436.php

They speculate (in another article) that while there may be no physical impairment to muscles etc in early AD plaques may be building up in the brain's motor areas.