• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prolonged Abnormal Effects of Exercise in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Bob

This short editorial came to my attention via Frank Twisk and Tom Kindlon on Twitter.

Open Access.

Editorial.
Prolonged Abnormal Effects of Exercise in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Frank N.M. Twisk
05-07-2015
Jacobs Journal of Physiotherapy and Exercise
Physiother Exercise. 2015, 1: 001.
http://www.jacobspublishers.com/images/Physiotherapy/J_J_Physiot_Exerc_1_1_001.pdf

Abstract
Exercise, especially exercise programs, has various beneficial health effects. However, in the case of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome physical exertion can induce prolonged negative effects on the patient’s condition (post-exertional “malaise”). The exacerbation of symptoms after exercise can plausibly be explained by exertion-induced abnormalities in ME/ CFS.

In order to unravel the pathophysiology and to protect the patients’ from iatrogenic harm of exercise regimes, it is essential to asses and diagnoses patients objectively.