• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Professor Sir Simon Wessely to be made Regius Professor

leela

This may seem like a trifle, but can we please stop using the honorific for Mr. Wessely here?
I know some use it a bit sarcastically, but I don't think we need to honor the man unnecessarily.
I get so irritated reading "Sir" in every article about him, it's a kind of slavish impulse to worship royalty.

leela

I understand what you mean, but you may have to be British to hear the degree of disdain, bordering on contempt, which can be expressed in the word "sir".
I am British enough to have grokked that, @Chrisb . It is the cumulative visual of seeing multiple honorifics applied to him repeatedly that pisses me off, sarcastic or not.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
This may seem like a trifle, but can we please stop using the honorific for Mr. Wessely here?
I know some use it a bit sarcastically, but I don't think we need to honor the man unnecessarily.
I get so irritated reading "Sir" in every article about him, it's a kind of slavish impulse to worship royalty.
Well I'm not calling him Mr. Wessely because it sounds too respectful. I've seen him called Simple Simon or Simon Weasely, but I don't feel quite comfortable with that because it sounds a little petulant. If I was going to give him a name it would be Simon Well-sly, fortunately having the option to contemptuously spit "Sir Simon" stops me from letting myself down like that.

Jan

Yes, yes, yes! I cannot stand to hear him being called sir. His name is Wesseley.

Weasels are very cute little animals who are very strong and very brave, not a bit like Wesseley.

@leela, just to clarify, in case you aren't aware, the man is entitled to the honorific Sir, since he has been knighted. Unlike in the southern states of the US, this term is not used generally in the UK, only for those with knighthoods.
(My father was from Alabama so insisted we all use sir and ma'am for our elders, he couldn't understand why my children didn't do the same, as to him not doing so came across as disrespectful.)

SilverbladeTE

Ah, good old Simon, joining the ranks of the ennobled!
Funny how many perverts, scumbags, war mongers, crooks and traitors who've been awarded "gongs" and titles over the years, though, isn't it?

I'm so, so happy for him! *sniffs back the tears of joy*
yes indeedy....

:rolleyes:

*rubs sandpaper into the ass crack of a voodoo doll of the Weasel*
:D

oh well, higher they build their "wunderkind of the Axis of Evil", the higher he has to fall.
Does show the ugly reality of how evil and twisted the British Establishment is, doesn't it, folks?

Justin30

The result of the denialist behaviour has to be undone and will be in future.

I wonder if this award or whatever it is is to distract the Drs and general public that this man actually was part of influencing the world and delaying research into the people suffering from the chronic disease with the lowest QOL score on the planet.

The world will know what you did maybe not today or tommorow but it is coming.

The denialist behaviour and poor quality research can be seen just by looking at those emaciated in a bed like Whitney and the many that have died and are still stuck in personal imprisonment in their bodies.

Harm, ego, pride, money and politics are what comes to mind when I hear of such people....if you only knew what we go through daily....

Bad science tricked the world....the truth is in the IOM report and the bodies of those suffering.

leela

@leela, just to clarify, in case you aren't aware, the man is entitled to the honorific Sir, since he has been knighted. Unlike in the southern states of the US, this term is not used generally in the UK, only for those with knighthoods.
(My father was from Alabama so insisted we all use sir and ma'am for our elders, he couldn't understand why my children didn't do the same, as to him not doing so came across as disrespectful.)

Well, I really meant my post as a quick sidebar, but your reply exemplifies my whole point. Slavishly capitulating to his "entitlement" to the honorific by some ingrained/conditioned societal standard is precisely what I was lobbying against.

In the same way that when someone earns a doctorate, they remain equally a Mister or Missus, or just their name. I am totally free to chose if I address them as Doctor or not. Someone earns respect, in my opinion, and the man in question has not earned mine.

I retract my appeal to call him by his given name, as everyone is as free as I am to address the rapscallion as they like. How's King of Spin?

Let's not forget this is the man who painted the entire patient community with the label of terrorism. He publicly stated that he'd feel safer in Afghanistan than around ME patients. Then he had an organization he sits on the board of bestow upon him some kind of humanitarian award for bravely continuing to try to "help" us in the face of such danger and tribulation.

No, sir, no Sir.

Yogi

You reminded me to update this page. I forgot to add then how discredited the system is, back in 2013. The honours system is now known to be corrupt.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...work-for-gws-and-me.21116/page-15#post-772358

Undisclosed

Nobody is honoring him. He was made a Sir by the Queen herself, so was Jimmy Savile who is a nasty pedophile, thus making the term mean nothing. I have no slavish impulse to worship royalty. Sir Wessely. Sir Weasel. Sir lying arse. Whatever. No love here. I prescribe to Silverblade TE's voodoo doll comment.

Sean

This man has been a disaster in medicine. Nice to see his paper trail is following behind him though. Awkward.
Very.

The way to beat Wessely is to trap him with his own words. Fortunately, being the garrulous megalomaniac that he is, he has carelessly left a 3 decade long trail of rich pickings behind him that he cannot erase from the record.

Collation and cross-referencing might be boring, but they are also very powerful tools to use against such people.

Last edited:

Valentijn

The way to beat Wessely is to trap him with his own words. Fortunately, being the garrulous megalomaniac that he is, he has carelessly left a 3 decade long trail of rich pickings behind him that he cannot erase from the record.

Collation and cross-referencing might be boring, but they are also very powerful tools to use against such people.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/simon-wessely-quotes.21025/

The worst most egRegius quotes are in the first two categories (biological investigation and disability payments) and others can easily be found by searching the page for "archives". Generally speaking, his worst comments were either made in a pretty private setting (letters, small groups) or published before there was widespread internet access for the lowly patients.

Last edited: