• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prof Sir Regius Simon Wessely on Judicial Appointments Commission

char47

:jaw-drop: God this is deeply, deeply troubling. So now he will be influencing who sits on tribunal panels. I feel sick. This is very_very_bad. Sinister.

Well this will go a long way to ensuring another tribunal doesn't speak out the truth like it did over the PACE data & revealing the lies behind the whole 'campaign of harassment nonsense'.

And since he believes that receiving benefits is a perpetuating factor in our illness, God help anyone who comes up to tribunal in 5-10yrs time when all the current judges have retired.

This shakes me up a lot more than crappy research :eek:

:wide-eyed::(:bang-head:

I can just imagine the smugness going on in certain quarters over this.

Quilp

Is anywhere safe with this man ?

Is that him walking up the garden path trying to sell me double glazing ? Is he ringing me up to ask me if I have been involved in an accident in the last three years ? Is he the new window cleaner ? And is he now my GP ? Is he Art Garfunkel in the local tribute band ? Has he just moved in next door ? Is he the next president of the USA ? Is he having dinner with Kim jong un ? Is he the next CEO of Phoenix Rising ?

Large Donner

No big deal really its just how the underground works, honour amongst thieves nothing new really. They are all keeping each others secrets, funny handshakes and lifting one trouser leg up.

You need secrets to be in this group so that you will keep other peoples secrets, its the safest way to run a corruption racket.

Inara

Prince Philip said: "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation (1988)." See here e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/jun/21/quotes-by-prince-philip

Prince Philip's opinion is that rich, noble people should have children and the "poor" should not. Also, it seems obvious he's positive for eugenics. (Here we are, sick with ME...)

It is known that many other rich people on this earth share these opinions, and many contribute to get to their goal.

With this in my mind, making him a "Sir" due to his "great achievements" is understandable - now he can discuss with the other nobles, e.g. Lady Mar, in the House of Lords - and putting him in the right places to achieve more of "the good", too.

This is so sad.

But let us keep up our will to fight. What are 100 people against 7 billion? (Even if these 100 possess more than the rest...)

Cinders66

Wessely said on bbc radio 4 earlier in the year that his research had suggested it was a central not peripheral disorder which has now been confirmed - is that even true? Or is that true in terms of the nervous system? Isn't framing it as a central disorder just because of his blinkered approach as a psychiatrist, how does the metabolism and gut stuff fit into this?

Last edited:

Esther12

It looks like they (claim to) have quite stringent requirements for declarations of possible blemishes in one's history. I wonder if Wessely declared his role in the PACE scandal, or the attempts to smear patient critics, and then use those smears to avoid an order to release PACE data at an information tribunal?

I expect it would be hard to get the tone right on a polite enquiry about that.

A.B.

Wessely said on bbc radio 4 earlier in the year that his research had suggested it was a central not peripheral disorder which has now been confirmed - is that even true?

It's not true. Research has been moving in the direction of viewing it as systemic disease, affecting various parts of the body. The brain findings are inconsistent (like so many other findings) and there is no clear evidence, as far as I know, that the disease originates in the brain. Brain abnormalities could just as well be due to a peripheral problem.

Cinders66

Just listening... OMG how we have maligned this hard working person! :vomit::aghhh:

Introduction about him is just :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

I laughed when he said regarding mental health of girls rising that we mustn't make assumptions about the cause and intervene without fully understanding as it could do harm.
He always seems to do down other elements of the medical profession it seems to me as psychiatry is superior but perhaps I listen with a critical ear.

If only he'd carried on studying art history how harmless he could have been.

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
Wessely said on bbc radio 4 earlier in the year that his research had suggested it was a central not peripheral disorder which has now been confirmed - is that even true? Or is that true in terms of the nervous system? Isn't framing it as a central disorder just because of his blinkered approach as a psychiatrist, how does the metabolism and gut stuff fit into this?

People who looking at the nervous system problems are concentrating on the autonomic nervous system.

ie the part that controls blood pressure, heart rate etc which adjust according to how much physical effort you need to make.

Dysautonomia is the general term covering disorders of this nature eg POTS.

If you've ever looked up a talk by Prof Julia Newton you hear the words autonomic nervous system a lot :)

HowToEscape?

It looks like they (claim to) have quite stringent requirements for declarations of possible blemishes in one's history. I wonder if Wessely declared his role in the PACE scandal, or the attempts to smear patient critics, and then use those smears to avoid an order to release PACE data at an information tribunal?

I expect it would be hard to get the tone right on a polite enquiry about that.

How about Camelford?