• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prof Coyne's new blog Undisclosed conflicts of interest in a systematic review protocol of intervent

sarah darwins

Here is Prof White's plans for us! He also, he states, will create links and engage with our ME charities! I hope we can put a stop to that.

Absolutely. I hope all ME charities and advocacy groups will actively discourage GPs from recommending anyone who fits reputable ME/CFS diagnostic criteria.

Participants/ population
Studies of populations meeting the diagnostic criteria for MUS, MUPS, and somatoform disorders will be included.

Good opportunity to help GPs understand that ME/CFS is not a somatoform disorder.

Yogi

PDW has now disclosed his conflicts after being outed by Dr James Coyne.

http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.asp?ID=CRD42015025520

Conflicts of interest
PDW has undertaken consultancy work for a re-insurance firm. He has also undertaken voluntary consultancy for the Departments of Health, Work and Pensions and is a member of the Independent Medical Experts Group, a non-Governmental organisation which advises the Ministry of Defence regarding their Armed Forces Compensation Fund.

He did this 2 days after Dr James Coyne's blog.

DISGRACEFUL BEHAVIOUR.

I was thinking hard about whether Peter White should be allowed to stay on this project given (1) he is reviewing much of his own work on CBT/GET(2) he failed to disclose his disability insurance COI until exposed by Coyne.

This project will formally review his literature and give it authority and a stamp of approval. Not to mention the waste of nearly £200,000 which could be used for better things (i cannot believe he got £200k to simply do a desktop review of his own work).

Does anyone think we should complain to York Uni PROSPERO and the funders NIHR?

Given the spotlight and pressure on PACE it could be a good time to do it.

How is this best done. Is this something one of the charities could do or MEAction?

Yogi

@charles shepherd

Hi,

Have you seen this and does the MEA know that Peter White will be doing a systematic review of much of his own research. Effectively Peter White will be marking his own homework.

Is there a complaint that can be made?

Thanks

ME3

Yogi this has been happening for years. PACE was investigated 6 times I believe by White himself and connection to armed forces, remember Gulf War Syndrome? MS used to be known as Hysterical Paralysis not that many years ago. I hadn't heard about the MUS studies but SS Wessley has asked for mental health services to be ring fenced in the Independent Newspaper and general public are crying out for more money for MH services, but don't understand what it will be going into i.e. more non mental health sufferers.

Yogi

I was thinking hard about whether Peter White should be allowed to stay on this project given (1) he is reviewing much of his own work on CBT/GET(2) he failed to disclose his disability insurance COI until exposed by Coyne.

This project will formally review his literature and give it authority and a stamp of approval. Not to mention the waste of nearly £200,000 which could be used for better things (i cannot believe he got £200k to simply do a desktop review of his own work).

Does anyone think we should complain to York Uni PROSPERO and the funders NIHR?

Given the spotlight and pressure on PACE it could be a good time to do it.

How is this best done. Is this something one of the charities could do or MEAction?

@charles shepherd

Hi,

Have you seen this and does the MEA know that Peter White will be doing a systematic review of much of his own research. Effectively Peter White will be marking his own homework.

Is there a complaint that can be made?

Thanks

Just updating as not had any response from any of the CMRC supporting ME charities about whether they are happy for ME to now be regarded as MUS.