• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotics Can Cause Depression (?) Possible Pathogen, Candida, Th1/Th2 Immune Response

Dear Lotus79 -

Thank you for starting this post. I Googled this very topic around a year ago and found very little, but I did find that others experienced depression from taking probiotics.
I believe that you are right on the money with your suspicions. I know for a fact (because of lab work) that I am --
1. TH2 Dominant (infectious disease MD told me that)
2. Have parasites (round and flat worms) as well as candida (Metametrix Stoll analysis)

My MD told me years ago that I should never take a probiotic containing the Streptococcus thermophilus strain. So you are correct in believing that the strain makes a difference. It may be right for some, but not others.
What I don't know is if the Streptococcus thermophilus is the one that is to blame for the depression.

My theory is that the probiotics are provoking a reaction from the parasites/candida and that this is responsible for the depression. Are the parasites giving off a chemical ? I don't know.

Also, like you, I have an MTHFR 677T mutation, although in my case I am the dreaded "homogeneous" type meaning that I am methylating at 20 percent capacity. Not good.

So the depression may be due to any number of factors Here are a few possibilities:
1. a specific probiotic strain
2. the reaction of the parasites/candida to probiotics in general or a specific strain
3. genetic mutation X parasites/candida
4. genetic mutation X parasites/candida X probiotics

Let's keep this discussion going and we may be able to figure this out. LIke many of you, I desperately need the probiotics, but don't know how to get it into me without the depression. I think that the 5 HTP idea is a very good one. In my case this is tricky because I have so many allergic sensitivities that taking supplements is problematic. I need to start with "a pinch" and slowly, painfully, build up.

Question- Does anyone else with this probiotics and depression problem also have "allergic sensitivity" issues with foods and supplements?

Best Wishes,
S

Interesting thread. This happens for me too right now and also for the other 3 brands of probiotics I've tried in the past, gradually they tend to bring symptoms of typical depression i.e. lack of interest/energy and motivation, feelings of sadness/boredom.

I'm currently on Align probiotic for about a week, but also added in around 1/3th capsule of Renew life 15 billion, 6 bfido strains, maybe I'm going too fast with the renew life brand.

This seems to happen regardless of what probiotic I take so maybe there is an immune-response going on as you mention @Lotus97. But how could one get past this, have you found a way? I really need to improve my gut ecology and believe that probiotics is the way to go. I had a generally messed up gut for past years accompanied by some recently discovered homozygous FUT2 genes which implies less microbiota diversity, especially Bifido bacteria. After doing a Humaworm parasite and candida cleanse I thought the introduction of probiotics would be an easier ride, turns out it might be harder than I think.

Just checked my raw data in 23andme and there are several FUT2 SNPs. Do you know which one you referred to in your post ?

Also, I just checked my Metametrix GI stool Analysis report and my levels of Bifidobacter is very low as well. Have you tried taking this particular strain in supplement form by itself ? I think they sell just this one without the other strains. Also, has anyone tried
Saccharomyces Boulardii ? I used this when I was diagnosed with an infection of Clostridium difficile,

I just reviewed my notes and it seems that when this one is low, it causes food allergies (Hummm) and that this in turn causes adrenaline spurts every few hours. Perhaps that is why I have hunger pangs, but thought it was my blood sugar.

Last edited:

Valentijn

Also, like you, I have an MTHFR 677T mutation, although in my case I am the dreaded "homogeneous" type meaning that I am methylating at 20 percent capacity. Not good.
MTHFR C677T +/+ only brings it down to 30%. Average MTHFR function seems to be around 68% in the general population.

Thank you for the correction. It is true that MTHFR C677T +/+ brings it down to 30% as compared to the average MTHFR reduction of function of 68% in the general population. However, that is a significant difference and given my list of symptoms, I do not believe it should be ignored.

Valentijn

Thank you for the correction. It is true that MTHFR C677T +/+ brings it down to 30% as compared to the average MTHFR reduction of function of 68% in the general population. However, that is a significant difference and given my list of symptoms, I do not believe it should be ignored.
Yeah, low/normal-dose folate supplementation or eating a decent amount of vegetables as a regular part of your diet is probably indicated. A couple of studies have shown that that is sufficient to correct for any increase in disease risk (mostly regarding fetus development during pregnancy).