• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotic precipitating a crash?

Silence

I recently took a popular probiotic listed on amazon ..this one http://www.amazon.com/PRO-15-Recomm...-Technology/dp/B00JEKYNZA/ref=zg_bs_3774071_1

One of the many symptoms i experience with this disease is chronic diarrhea. Ive heard and read some studies that suggest that probiotics could help alleviate some of these symtoms, i dont know if it was this particular brand or probiotics in general, but after taking 1 per day for 3 weeks im experiencing something thats feels like a crash --- muscles cramping, muscles have that lactic acid feeling/burning, my energy has gone down considerably to almost being bed bound, my cognition feels spacey.

Has anyone else had these experiences while taking probiotics? Does anyone know why this may happen?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I don't have the issues you're referring to but my understanding of PB's is that different strains have differing effects. And it depends on your particular makeup how you react to them.
Some people here have had success (I think) with Miyarisan and it tends to be constipating for many. It's possible multiple strains from different brands might help. Or not.
At any rate there are lots of threads on the topic.

Bob

Roughly a year ago, I had an extreme reaction after taking some probiotics for a week, and have been almost entirely bed bound this year as a result, with loads of new complications developing.

I think I reacted to L. Salivarious, which happens to be in your product. I recommend that ME patients stay clear of L. Salivarius.

...muscles cramping, muscles have that lactic acid feeling/burning...
Yes, I had that symptom, along with other complications.

@Silence, I hope your problems clear up quickly.

Last edited:
I recently took a popular probiotic listed on amazon ..this one http://www.amazon.com/PRO-15-Recomm...-Technology/dp/B00JEKYNZA/ref=zg_bs_3774071_1

One of the many symptoms i experience with this disease is chronic diarrhea. Ive heard and read some studies that suggest that probiotics could help alleviate some of these symtoms, i dont know if it was this particular brand or probiotics in general, but after taking 1 per day for 3 weeks im experiencing something thats feels like a crash --- muscles cramping, muscles have that lactic acid feeling/burning, my energy has gone down considerably to almost being bed bound, my cognition feels spacey.

Has anyone else had these experiences while taking probiotics? Does anyone know why this may happen?
Coincidentally I just started taking this probiotic about 2 weeks or so ago. I dont think it makes me feel worse with the symptoms you describe above.
I am also taking Thorne formula SF722 though for the loose stools that accompany my m.e.. The SF722 is the only thing that has ever helped with the diarrhea.

I hope you get a break from your symptoms soon:(

Silence

Thank you for your replies and well wishes. Ill definitely check out some of the probiotics you guys have mentioned and heed more caution to some other types of probiotics.