• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pro Health article on B1 (thiamine)

garyfritz

Well, it looks like I should pay closer attention to this B1 stuff. I just got a MAP test done, and it says I'm seriously deficient in B1.

And I'm taking 100mg per day!!

garyfritz

Potassium: not much, and not consistently. And I think I do have a problem with that. I sometimes get trembly muscles, and I'm not sure but that may be potassium-related. Don't often have cramping issues.

Folate: about 1200 mcg/day methyl folate, plus what I get in veggies. I try to avoid folic acid.

Gondwanaland

Potassium: not much, and not consistently. And I think I do have a problem with that. I sometimes get trembly muscles, and I'm not sure but that may be potassium-related. Don't often have cramping issues.

Folate: about 1200 mcg/day methyl folate, plus what I get in veggies. I try to avoid folic acid.
Another useful topic on it to try to figure out what is draining your B1:
Is Folate inhibiting Thiamine (B-1) ?

picante

I just found this on Wikipedia:
"Sulbutiamine is indicated for the treatment of asthenia. Asthenia is a condition of chronic fatigue that is cerebral rather than neuromuscular in origin.[10] Several studies have shown that sulbutiamine is effective at relieving the symptoms of asthenia. In a study of 1772 patients with an infectious disease and asthenic symptoms, sulbutiamine was administered in addition to specific anti-infective treatment for 15 days.[11] The number of patients with complete resolution of all asthenic symptoms was 916. Another study showed that sulbutiamine is effective at relieving asthenia in patients after mild craniocerebral trauma.[12] Nevertheless, the clinical efficacy of sulbutiamine for the treatment of fatigue is uncertain. In a study of postinfectious chronic fatigue patients, sulbutiamine did not demonstrate sustained benefits over the placebo.[3] However, the authors of that study suggest that additional research is needed to evalulate the potential usefulness of sulbutiamine in the treatment of chronic fatigue."

picante

Well, smack myself on the head, @Gondwanaland! Thanks for the link to the other thread, because I think I just found out why increasing my mefolate/meB12 has been resulting in anger & hot flashes (and "enervating fatigue"). Here I was thinking I was "overmethylated", but it looks more like thiamine depletion (from detoxing acetaldehyde, and then folate on top of that):

Acetaldehyde stemming from yeast is a thiamine antagonist. It combines irreversibly with thiamine to form 2,3-butanediol, a stable adduct, that is excreted in the urine. The thiamine molecules thus imprisoned are no longer available for either aspect of the chi cycle. Thiamine is required for the liver energy requirements during the aldehyde dehydrogenase oxidation of acetaldehyde and for neutrophils that attempt to surround and destroy budding yeast as it shifts into its hyphal form. Responding to the metabolic impact of yeast in the system has increased the demand upon thiamine reserves already serving the energy requirements of every other active cell in the body's conglomeration of organs and tissues.
When all of these concurrent demands reach a critical threshold and the normal background chi pressure that keeps the body's chi spring wound up creates a sudden shift of thiamine out of the bloodstream, then normal chi pressure becomes excessive chi stress and body processes start to fail. The symptom first experienced might be a sudden headache, hot flash, night sweat, panic attack, fit of rage, dizzy spell, nausea, spike in blood pressure, or enervating fatigue that continues to worsen until the condition becomes chronic and internal organs begin to fail. When there is an overall insufficiency of thiamine in the system, so that both blood stream and chi field requirements cannot be adequately met, the body has slipped into a state of sub-clinical beri-beri, the thiamine deficiency disease.

The article she's quoting seems to be from a TCM point of view (Traditional Chinese Medicine).

Gondwanaland

Acetaldehyde stemming from yeast is a thiamine antagonist.
Interesting. I was drinking coconut water kefir (yeast) to supply potassium when I started experimenting with Mfolate. Another piece of the puzzle. :jaw-drop:
I can swear to you by now I recognize the thiamine smell in my urine when I eat/drink/take thiamine antagonizers :cautious:

Gondwanaland

Please, izzy, what is on your list of thiamine antagonizers? Is potassium on it?
Potassium and thiamine are synergists and must be titrated together. Taking too much potassium will consume thiamine, and taking too much thiamine will increase potassium needs, as we all know.

Perhaps the acidosis from too much potassium destroys thiamine but that is speculation on my part.

TigerLilea

Years ago I had a Spectracell test and it showed I was deficient in Vit. B1.........that was the only B vit. I was low in..............but I never took it in high doses.

That's interesting as I also had a SpectraCell test done and I was told that I was deficient in Vitamin B1 and that my Glutathione was deficient. The doctor who ran the test had me take 500 mg of B1 twice a day for two weeks and when I showed no signs of improvement he decided that B1 wasn't the problem and had me stop taking it. :thumbdown: