• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prion Disease

slayadragon

The following is from Sarah Myhill's site. I'm putting a few quotes and the link.

Although Kenny de Meirleir discusses heavy metals with regard to prions, I'd never seen prion disease discussed as so specifically being related to toxins before.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks much for your help.

Best, Lisa

Prion disorders: Alzheimer's Disease; Parkinson's Disease; Creutzfeldt-Jacob's Disease & Motor Neurone Disease

I think of prion disorders as protein cancers. Prions are proteins which are normally present in the body and perform essential functions. However, if they come into contact with a particular toxin or heavy metal or another twisted prion (rotten apple effect), then they too twist and distort. When they twist in such a way that they cannot be broken down by the body enzyme systems, they cause problems because the body cannot break them down so it dumps them. Pathologically this is known as amyloid. This results in deposition of these indigestible proteins and this can be anywhere in the body.

Although amyloid can occur anywhere in the body, the biggest problem is in the brain, perhaps because it is a closed box and therefore there is not any room for all this excess protein to be dumped and partly because each part of the brain is unique and any loss of function is quickly noticed.

So these protein cancers tend to cause problems which may take many years to develop and so far the medical profession has no method of slowing down this process.

From work done with BSE (which is also a protein cancer like CJD) there appear to be two phases. After the build up of prions, there then appears to be an auto-immune phase, where the body suddenly recognises this protein as being foreign. This causes inflammation against this prion material in an attempt to get rid of it, but the inflammation does far more damage than the prion and the disease process is suddenly accelerated. In BSE this is often triggered by a stressful event such as a calving or very cold weather.

Just as cancers have triggers and causes, we now recognise some of the triggers for prion disorders. The best documented are heavy metals, pesticides and natural toxins, but there may well be others. For example:

Parkinson's disease is associated with manganese toxicity and organophosphate pesticides.

Motor neurone disease is also associated with manganese poisoning and cycad (a natural toxin from beans).

Alzheimer's disease has been linked to aluminium toxicity (as, for example, in dialysis dementia) and also mercury toxicity. The mercury may be coming from dental amalgam fillings. Both mercury and aluminium either have been or continue to be used in vaccination - it may be that annual flu vaccinations increase the load of heavy metals year on year. Recent studies show they may be partly responsible for our current epidemic of Alzheimer's disease.

CJD - studies of BSE show clear association with exposure to organophosphate pesticides and also to manganese (in the absence of copper). Human cases of CJD are more likely to be related either to pesticide poisoning or direct infection through vaccination, blood transfusion or surgery. There is no evidence that CJD may be acquired by eating beef - that is an unproven assumption.

MSA - Multi System Atrophy - my guess is that this too is a prion disorder with the prion in this case being alpha-synuclein. The main symptoms arise from neurological damage and from POTs (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). My view is that POTs arises as a result of poor cardiac output - see Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome or POTs. If indeed this is the case then we could explain MSA in terms of a mitochondrial disorder. The thinking is that the brain and heart are the most energy demanding organs in the body so when energy supply is impaired these are the first two to be affected. It may be that MSA is a prion disorder that impacts on mitochondria and symptoms arise because of mitchondrial failure in brain and heart.

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Prio...feldt-Jacob's_Disease_&_Motor_Neurone_Disease

lansbergen

Prions are not normal cellular proteins.

Prions are proteinaceous infectious particle.

It is written as PrPSc.

There are many strains.

The normal cellular protein is written as PrPc.

The gen coding for the protein is Prnp.

Nowadays many none Prnp proteins are called prions.

That muddles the waters.

slayadragon

I think that when Myhill says "twisted protein," she means a PrPSc.

She mentions the "rotten apple effect," when a protein comes into contact with a twisted protein and then gets twisted itself. I think that's the "infectious" component.

What's different about her comments is the focus on all the toxins. She seems to think that "twisted" prions in the body can be developed from contact with other twisted prions OR contact with various toxins. ("If they come into contact with a particular toxin or heavy metal or another twisted prion (rotten apple effect), then they too twist and distort.")

I wonder what the evidence for this is, or how often it occurs.

lansbergen

Proteins can misfold but not all misfolded proteins are prions.

Prions are proteinaceous infectious particles.

Prions can not be studied everywhere. It needs special safety labs.

Myhill heard the bell ring but does not know where the clapper is. She speculates.

lansbergen

Could it be that the toxins cause the proteins to misfold, and then that misfolded protein become infectious ("rotten apple effect")?

I do not know toxins can do it. Never was interested in that.

Almost everything can be toxin if in too high quantities.

The inmmunomodulator I use will kill me if I take too much.

If chaperons fail proteins can get misfolded.

I am still not convinced by the protein only hypothesis for TSE's.

Some researchers are looking for what role retroviruses play in it.

Many scientists bellieve Parkinson's (and Alzheimer's) are prion diseases.

See files citing applicable research:

SCIENTISTS CONFIRM THAT ALZHEIMERS IS A PRION DISEASE.
http://sludgevictims.com/pathogens/ALZHEIMERS_is_a_prion_disease.pdf

ALZHEIMERS and PARKINSONS DISEASES ARE transmissible prion/protein
misfolding/conformational disorders -- Link to March 2011 update, Alzheimer's Disease
(AD) and Parkinson's Disease (PD) - many descriptions - misfolding prion/protein
diseases - conformational disorders - amyloidosis - tauopathy - proteinopathies . . .
http://sludgevictims.com/pathogens/ALZHEIMERPRIONDISEASE2011UPDATE.pdf

Respectfully submitted, Helane Shields, Alton, NH 03809 hshields@tds.net Researcher
http://www.alzheimers-prions.com/