• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Press release: "PACE Trial: The Making of a Medical Scandal" avail. to journalists. Please highlight

Barry53

I've been listening to The Inquiry on radio 4 lately, they take a topic and go into depth for 25 minutes, might be something for PACE. On the other hand they always have 4 viewpoints, so the BPS crew would probably get 6 minutes, which would be nauseating to have to listen to. Unless it was 6 minutes of making fools of themselves of course, which they seem to do every time they or their stooges open their mouths these days.
Trouble is it is only those in the know at the moment who can recognise the foolishness. To the innocently uninformed it still sounds highly plausible - bullsh*t baffles brains, etc.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
@Tom Kindlon @Jonathan Edwards

When sending out press release, there is a list of contacts at the end. Is there a preferred person in the UK/Scotland that journalists should get in contact with? Or is it any of the contacts?

The press release comes from the journal. I think the editor is happy for media to contact who they like. I am happy to field enquiries if they come my way.

I think the editor is happy for media to contact who they like.

Okey dokes, it feels a bit strange to be sending out someone else's press release so just wanted to check! Think the only way Scottish journalists might cover is if we email them directly with all the details and provide case studies for human interest angle. Does anyone know if JHP/anyone else has sent press release to English journalists?

P.s the above Question is just cause I'm nosy and hoping we will see some good articles about this !

Last edited:

AndyPR

In case anybody finds this useful, here are a number of potential targets for this press release gathered from those outlets principally who have covered ME issues in the past or who are just outside of the mainstream (so who might be more likely to be interested in the story). It's not meant to be exhaustive, as it's mainly taken from my Facebook likes list.

Sorry I'm not volunteering to contact them myself but I don't have the capacity at the moment.

Another Angry Voice
The Skwawkbox
Evolve Politics

Disability News Service

The Canary

slysaint

Barry53

... the recovery rate fell from 22% to just 7% ...
I think this is still a bit misleading, giving a significantly inflated impression of CBT's contribution. I would have thought something along the lines of "... the recovery rate for CBT+SMC fell from 22% to just 7%. Being as SMC alone showed over 3%, CBT contributed less than 4%".

Barry53

isn't a program on PACE planned?
I dearly hope so, but I imagine if there is then the BBC will be putting a lot of homework into it, and ensure it is absolutely watertight and bullet proof.

So long as the BBC have not given up on the idea, I'm prepared to be patient. It would be good to be reassured though, that they do still intend to do a panorama or something similar on PACE.

A few questions for interested journalists on a slightly wider area for follow up stories or supplemental information:

If, as the PACE Trial authors state in the original "The effectiveness of behavioural treatments does not imply that the condition is psychological in nature",

• What are the ethical and legal questions raised by involuntary commitment to a Psychiatric institution of a patient with a sole diagnosis of ME/CFS?
  • Have any of the PACE authors or colleagues committed patients under these circumstances?
  • On what grounds?
  • What steps have the PACE authors and colleagues done to prevent commitment under these circumstances?

Useful link: https://www.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/mental-health-laws/mental-health-act-1983/about

The Mental Health Act 1983 is the law which sets out when you can be admitted, detained and treated in hospital against your wishes. This is only done if you are putting your own safety or someone else’s at risk and you have a mental disorder
(emphasis added)

There are plenty of illnesses where people refuse treatment that a doctor thinks is best for them, e.g:
The significance of compliance and persistence in the treatment of diabetes, hypertension and dyslipidaemia: a review

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2228386/?tool=pubmed which is linked from NICE's own evidence search https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/Search?q=diabetes+non+compliance

• Why the discrepancy between how non compliant patients are treated in these illnesses and ME/CFS?
  • What caused these discrepancies?

slysaint

Just listened to the interview with Hillary Johnson (Ostlers Web author). Very interesting. Particularly good advice on advocacy; see also on Twitter:
Hillary Johnson‏@oslersweb Jul 9

Tell a reporter how horrible your ME life is + your only real audience is other people with ME. Talk about what gov has done/not done. News.

6 replies 10 retweets 22 likes

Although as we in the UK all know sadly this is not the case here, yet..........

Just listened to the interview with Hillary Johnson (Ostlers Web author). Very interesting. Particularly good advice on advocacy;
Tell a reporter how horrible your ME life is + your only real audience is other people with ME. Talk about what gov has done/not done.

I've not listened to this yet, will try and check it out later. I agree and disagree with what you've said above .

I agree that if articles are only focused on personal stories and how hard life is with ME, then the only audience is people with ME.

But, when talking about what the gov has/not done we need to give people a reason to care. ME is so mis-understood, Why should people care? Isn't it just that illness that people are tired all time? :rolleyes: :mad:

A story talking about gov inaction and lack of funds which includes a case study of someone with ME demonstrates the consequences and gives readers a reason to care, I think this is what the Open medicine foundation have been doing in America? e.g the consequences of NIH investing so little money are that patients like Whitney have been left with no treatment.

Barry53

But, when talking about what the gov has/not done we need to give people a reason to care. ME is so mis-understood, Why should people care? Isn't it just that illness that people are tired all time? :rolleyes: :mad:
This cuts to the heart of things. People only begin to understand if they, or someone close, have ME, and even then it's a fraught learning curve. Getting "non-ME" people understand, let alone care, is a huge challenge. Maybe exposing a major miscarriage of medical justice might be a start, so long as it is in terms normal non-ME people can identify with. Or at least if it triggers subsequent more digestible articles.

Wolfiness

Activity Level 0
Get people to understand that this is going to be a major, thrilling scandal/revolution sooner or later, and they can get in ahead of the curve and be saying I Told You So to the rest of the nation and the authorities when they finally acknowledge it. An "I was doing it before it was cool"-type feeling.

Countrygirl

I hope it is okay to post this here. It is a public post by Professor Coyne about the attempts on Friday by PACE advocates to prevent publication on Monday, which he has just placed on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/james.c.coyne/posts/10214635365384655
It’s been a wild 72 hours. Publication of the special issue of Journal of Health Psychology is going forward as planned on Monday. PLOS Mind the Brain is dead, long live Mind the Brain.

My colleagues and I came under heavy attack on two fronts.

There was a last ditch attempt to block publication of the special issue by a powerful but unknown #PACEtrial advocate and it was finally foiled this morning. A weaselly coward suggested papers weren't properly peer reviewed and that the special issue should therefore be published. That of course was nonsense. There were some threats made to Sage Press, the publisher of Journal of Health Psychology, which expressed a reluctance to go forward as planned. As these things are done, we weren’t told the identity of the complainant, but it was clear that whoever s/he was a huge quite powerful

A decision was made that I would take responsibility for unilaterally breaking the embargo on the press release and post a blog about it. If necessary, I would explain that I did it without permission.

I prepared the blog, but waited till 7 AM in hope that Sage would relent. They had not by that hour, and so I posted the blog. The strategy was that we would get very visible and create a great deal of embarrassment for Sage if they did not let us go forward. Actually, all of the papers were available Early Release except Editor David Marks’ great accompanying introductory editorial. We were prepared to move that to a public repository, and if necessary the other articles from the special issue. A few hours later, Sage agreed to go forward and published the special issue on Monday morning.

On another front, PLOS blog Mind the Brain died in a struggle, with me being blocked from uploading any further posts. Some of us have been agitating for PLOS to lift the ban on me speaking in the blog about the PACE trial controversy.

A conference call had been scheduled for Friday morning, but it simply became an announcement that the blog was being shut down because PLOS did not have sufficient staff to fact check my posts in a timely fashion. PLOS management asked that we issue a joint statement in social media about amicable separation, with us praising five years of working together.

I refused and I indicated that PLOS was caving to the PACE investigators by not retracting the paper for which data had been promised to be release, but was not. PLOS indicated they had done all they could with the Expression of Concern.

I disagreed, and I said they had a public relations disaster on their hands. We arrived at a decision that early next week, the dead PLOS blog Mind the Brain would be revived on CoyneoftheRealm.com free of any censorship and control of my talking about the PACE controversy. A zip folder of the past five years of post would be transferred on Tuesday. I am telling of these events on Facebook here, but I’m can refrain from talking on Twitter until what PLOS comes up with. PLOS had explained, that the decision had nothing to do with my pressuring them to lift the censorship about PACE, but only that my muckraking about conflicts of interest of institutions and individuals had caused alarm. I challenge them to indicate any factually untrue statements that I had made, and they said they could not.

I strongly believe that someone was pulling the strings and the huge PLOS organization had become risk adverse after long months of negotiation with the PACE investigators. I’m free to say more about this once the separation has been arranged.

Last edited:

trishrhymes

Oh wow! This is bigger than I could have hoped. You couldn't make it up. Surely the PACE/Weasely faction's biggest own goal so far. They really must be scared their empires will crumble at last. I so hope journalists will write about this in the major press including the attempt to block publication.

I hope everyone in the UK will buy copies or give the web link and a print off of the editorial to their doctors, MP's and everyone else they can think of.