• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pregnant women activated immune system study

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Some recently mentioned remission of ME symptoms during pregnancy. Maybe this explains.

During pregnancy, many women experience remission of autoimmune diseases like multiple sclerosis and uveitis. Now, scientists have described a biological mechanism responsible for changes in the immune system that helps to explain the remission.

The expression of an enzyme known as pyruvate kinase is reduced in immune cells in pregnant women compared to non-pregnant women, according to Howard R. Petty, Ph.D., biophysicist at the University of Michigan Kellogg Eye Center and Roberto Romero, M.D., of the National Institutes for Health. The study, which appears online ahead of print in the August issue of the American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, also reports that expression of the enzyme is lower in pregnant women compared to those with pre-eclampsia, a condition with inflammatory components

Full text http://www.physorg.com/news195969919.html

filfla4

After having been ill for a number of years, I felt amazing in my pregnancy!!! I never put on any weight and the baby fed off the fat reserves accumulated during my illness. I actually weighed less on delivery than I had before getting pregnant and gave birth to a healthy 3.7kg baby. I felt extremely energetic and got up to all sorts of things I hadn't been able to do in ages. However within hours of giving birth the party ended: I dislocated my pelvis in the delivery and picked up a hospital bug as well (pseudomonas infection). I was extremely ill for months afterwards.