• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prednisone got me out of bed, should I continue?

Woolie

Update on prednisone:

Its been nearly four months now I've been on prednisone. Started after a two-months crash that left me completely bedbound, unable to lift my head from pillow and (obviously) threatened my job. So I didn't have much to lose!

I started on 20mg a day, which worked great for a few days, then the symptoms came back. Then I went up to 40mg and the symptoms went away and stayed away. Since then, I have worked steadily on trying to get the dose down. I have got to 25mg, but no lower yet. There is a lot of fluctuation in the underlying symptoms, so 25mg will work fine for say a week, then the signs of an upcoming crash will come on, and I'll have to increase the dose for a few days. The increases kick in 2-3 days later, and I'm then able to drop down again.

I still have to be careful what I do, and it varies from day to day. On good days I can go to work (desk job), come home, cook for my kids, even do a few light chores and/or go for a gentle 20 minute walk, and relax at the end of the day with no pain. On bad days I can only do sedentary things (working from my desk or sofa, driving not walking, buying in stuff for kids' dinner). But still way better than my head stuck flat on my pillow! Plus the bad days don't last if I up the prednisone quickly.

I would like to get off the pred, of course, but would rather be on it that completely bed bound and out of a job. I may not be able to get off it for some time. But its the least worst of options.

Side effects: I am managing my weight (that's a challenge), and taking risedronate to counter the osteoporosis risk and colecalciferol (Vit D). Doc is monitoring my bloods, bp, weight, etc, everything good so far. I felt some psychological effects at the beginning (jumpiness, hot feeling, insomnia), but not any more. I feel normal - neither elated nor depressed - and my mind is working well. The only side effect that really bothers me is that my face is puffy. But hell, its what's the point of being sick and pretty? Better to be less pretty and enjoying my life!

I'm not recommending this to anyone, just sharing my experience. But this could be something other people might want to consider if things get as bad as they did for me. You obviously need a supportive doctor, who can monitor the risks, but at the same time respects your desire to have some quality of life. And that risk vs. quality of life trade-off will be different for everyone. I feel a bit more comfortable about taking this risk at age 50 than I might at 25, for example.

cb2

I had to go back on predisone for a bad case of poison oak.. i just tapered off a few days ago and can hardly function.. not fun. i do take HC ..maybe i need to increase that for a few days- just so tired. I am glad you found something to help.

Woolie

I had to go back on predisone for a bad case of poison oak.. i just tapered off a few days ago and can hardly function.. not fun. i do take HC ..maybe i need to increase that for a few days- just so tired. I am glad you found something to help.
@cb2, did you feel better at all ME-wise while taking the full dose of prednisone?

People here have said that you have to drop down really slowly, especially the last 20mg. After that, 1 mg every few days would be ideal. If your doc is willing to supply you with enough of the stuff.

Yea, HC works similarly, but I think has a shorter half life (doesn't hang around so long in you body). And you need to quadruple the dose to equal the same dose of pred (so 20mg HC = 5mg pred).

cb2

I did have more energy overall. i didn't taper down to 1mg.. this is the schedule i followed- on 40 predi for 3 days;, 30 for 3days; 20 for 5days; 10 for 5 days;5 for 5 days;- maybe i cut the 5's down ? i have some extra

Woolie

@cb2, that's a pretty good and standard recommended taper, but I wonder whether we CFSers need to be more gradual? If you're feeling really poorly, and have the spare prednisone, you could consider returning to 10mg for a few days, then tapering down by 1mg every few days. As slow as poss.

cb2

thanks @wollie I could also take some extra HC and see how that goes..? or like you said try the predi but maybe not at 10 but 5. hope you have a good evening. : ) thanks for the help

Woolie

Hey, @cb2, you must be from around this part of the world too, if you know its evening for me!

Yea, that sounds like a plan. You don't want to go higher than you need, so if 5mg plus a little extra HC eases the fatigue, then I'd go down gradually from there.

cb2

HI @ Woolie I am on the west coast. sorry it took so long to respond.. i dont have as many productive hours in a day as i used too. .. what part of the world are you?

Woolie

@cb2, that makes sense. I'm in New Zealand, we're only a few hours' time difference.

I also have long periods when I don't check email/alerts, etc. :(

WoolPippi

@Woolie, what an interesting thread this is, I'm so glad your approach worked :)

Do you think that with the current 25 mg it's still a case of surpressing your immunesystem or has it now veered into supplementing needed cortisol?
I know what the textbooks say but I'd love to hear your anecdotal thoughts.

Woolie

@Woolie, what an interesting thread this is, I'm so glad your approach worked :)

Do you think that with the current 25 mg it's still a case of surpressing your immunesystem or has it now veered into supplementing needed cortisol?
I know what the textbooks say but I'd love to hear your anecdotal thoughts.

Hi @WoolPippi, I've now got down to 17mg baseline dose, which I'm pretty happy about. But I'm using a strategy of taking it up to much higher doses when a bad flare comes on, but then tapering back down fairly quickly, after about 3-4 days. Might try to continue to drop the baseline dose, but still use this dose increase strategy when a big flare comes (my ME is relapsing-remitting, though, so this strategy may not work for everyone).

To be honest, I don't know what the pred is doing, because I have no way of knowing how I'd be feeling right now if I were completely off it. Perhaps still bedbound like I was when I started, but perhaps I'd have got a lot better by now. But I know that increasing the dose during a flare makes in go away within 36-48 hours, and the timing of that seems quite reliable.

If you know a bit about what the textbooks say, I'd like to know too. But my understanding is that even 17mg is much more than you need for cortisol replacement (that's the equivalent of around 68mg hydorpcortisone).