International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Prednisone and DHEA

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Chiron, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Chiron

Chiron

Canada
    I have a simple question that I can't seem to find the answers to. Can DHEA offset the long-term effects of prednisone, like cataracts, muscle wasting, osteoporosis, adrenal atrophy, and others? Of course the goal should be to get off prednisone but if you're having a hard time, can DHEA help protect you?

My doctor gave me a good scare today. I am dealing with uncontrolled bowel inflammation and he basically said I am better off getting my bowel removed than having prednisone come in and out of my life because soon I will end up with the body of an old man.

I know prednisone is not good long-term but it's been 4 years since using it and it's for a few months per year. I don't want to get my bowel removed but he's making me freak out.

On that note are there any other supplements to help with the prednisone come-down and helping my adrenals recover? They never give you this info at all in modern medicine, probably because they don't know. I'm already taking DHEA 25mg per day with 15mg prednisone (and tapering). Should I maybe take more?

Sorry if my post is all over the place I am feeling very anxious and scattered.

Gingergrrl and alkt like this.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Possibly as dhea has anabolic effects although mild and prednisone is a catabolic hormone. Long term pred may need something stronger to off set prednisones catabolic effects, also add, more protein in diet.

Gingergrrl, alkt and Chiron like this.
  3. Runner5

Runner5 Senior Member

PNW
    ((hugs)) That sounds really scary.

Gingergrrl and alkt like this.
  4. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Stop eating the foods that are inflaming your bowel.

5. Chiron

Chiron

Canada
    Thanks, diet is the first thing I've done. I've had IBD for 5 years.

Not looking for other IBD suggestions right now. Just want to know about prednisone and DHEA.

Gingergrrl, ljimbo423 and alkt like this.
  6. Stretched

Stretched Senior Member

U.S., Southeast
    Look into prednolonone and the methyl analog, Medrol, considered ‘the happy pill,’ precursor
    to prednisone. The first is available OTC, the latter is rx.

See more popular forum discussions.