• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Power to the patients! Vote Dec 3-12 for a new Biobank for the Vancouver Clinic

View the Post on the Blog
by Kati and the Phoenix Rising Team

The Vancouver Chronic Diseases Clinic is set to open within the next few months. What better way to support this worthwhile project than to help it win some serious money from a charitable voting contest? With your help and support, we're getting organized to do just that! Although the Aviva Community Fund is a Canadian contest for Canadian projects, people from all over the world are eligible to vote. This is where your help is needed! Details on how you can help can be found further down the page, but first, some background information on the project...

A Patient Initiative

A few months ago someone pointed this voting contest out to me, but I had a hard time trying to find a project that would be both helpful for patients while also meeting the entry criteria. However, with Dr Alison Bested taking up the position of Medical Director at The Vancouver Chronic Diseases Clinic, the project to fund the clinic's most needed item came to mind and an idea was born. Since then, patient involvement has been amazing, including all of you who have spent many hours recruiting voters, voting and also creating videos (such as the ones created by "ME Awareness: Words and Pictures"). Thanks to each and every one of you! But, we're not done yet ;-), we need to bring it home!

BC Women's Foundation Steps in

While this project started as a patient initiative, the BC Women's Foundation have also stepped up to the plate by creating a video for our project. Along with Dr Bested, they provided help with the budget and input about where the funds are needed most. They will also recruit more voters from their own network. The video, presented by Dr Bested, is featured front and center on our Aviva page.

The Project

The idea is to fund freezers for patient samples, including everything needed to process them in the standard way (i.e labelling, spinning and tracking). This equipment will benefit ME, Fibromyalgia and Lyme disease patients admitted to the clinic. Our original idea was to fund the cost of exercise testing equipment (and it is still a very good idea), but when Dr Bested and the BC Women's Foundation started adding up the cost of both projects, the total had passed over $300,000. Each Aviva project in the “big budget” category cannot be more than $150 000, so we put together a bold project which asks for a total of $146,100 in funding.

The Time-line

Aviva held 3 qualifying rounds, each over the course of 2 weeks. The first 10 projects in each budget size category (small, medium and large) moved on to the semi-finals. By the seat of our pants we have successfully made it through the first round. The competition was intense, but the support we received from all around the world enabled us to place amongst the first round qualifiers.

The Semi-finals are the last chance for the community to help out. We need to qualify for the finals, where our project will be judged and ranked amongst the other projects that make it through. Out of 30 semi-finalists in each budget size category, only 10 will be moving to the finals.

The voting period is from December 3rd to December 12th 2012, beginning at 12/noon Eastern Standard Time (Toronto or New York time). By registering to vote in the Aviva contest, you will be given 15 votes in total. You can vote for our project once per day during the voting period. This will require 10 of your 15 votes.

How to Help?

The competition in this last round will be fierce and we will need, at a minimum, 1500 - 2000 votes per day to have a hope of winning. Beyond voting personally, you can help us achieve the votes we need by:-

- asking 5 people right now if they will vote daily starting on Monday

- asking these 5 people if they could get one more person each

- asking if they would like to be reminded daily (you can either connect them to the reminder here or alternatively, you could set your own reminder each day)

Historically, the voting in these contests has always decreased during the weekends, across all charities - these will be the days where we can gain ground, so please double your efforts on the weekends to ensure that our vote count stays up!

How To Vote?

Some of you may have had trouble voting in the last round. Patients with our diseases suffer from cognitive dysfunction and we are aware of this. To help you get voting, here are a few aids in the form of reminders and detailed instructions on how to vote in the contest.

Where to vote: Aviva site
Facebook page
You can join this event on Facebook to get daily reminders to vote.

Video explaining how to register and how to vote:

(With thanks to ME Awareness: Words and Pictures)

And finally, you can read written instructions from this flyer:

Why Should You Help Your Fellow Canadians?
  • Because a new clinic researching and treating ME, FM and Lyme disease will benefit patients worldwide. It means one more researching team. It sets a precedent for other physicians and for other provinces. Canada needs to step in when it comes to researching the Complex Chronic Diseases that have been neglected for far too long.
  • Voting is free and very safe - Aviva will not send you undesired emails.
  • Voting is also very quick and has the potential to do something very good.
  • By building a strong community, we can help each other by voting in funding contests as well as participating in other campaigns when the need arises.
View the Post on the Blog

I checked again how the organisations grow up after 21 hours. I checked exactly at the hour when it will finish because sometimes the results depends when you check because we have a lot of european and australian voters. During the last 21 hours we grow the most from the organisations between 10th - 14 th positions but the differences were not too significant to help us. So it means we need more votes - we are around 579 votes behind the 10 th position. Here are the results:

1. Undercurrent Youth Centre – 10432 (+1647)
2. Une vraie cour d'école pour ados! – 9872 (+1488)
3. Riehl skate park – 9607 (+1158)

4. Fighting for Healthy, Affordable Food in North End Halifax - 9104 (+1252)
5. Stay Strong Nick Roma 8335 (+1261)

6. Nouveau gymnase pour notre club de gymnastique Les Hirondelles – 8191 (+1286)
7. Exoskeleton for Trevor Greene, Canadian Veteran – 8015 (+1137)
8. Harder-4-Carter: The Carter Antila Memorial SkatePark – 7464 (+809)
9. Un préau pour L'École des Enfants-de-la-Terre – 6927 (+1246)
10. Projet Paradis / Paradis Project – 6811 (+1007)

11. Non-profit Companion Animal Hospital & Shelter – 6707 (+966)
12. Castle Park's "Play for ALL", universally accessible playground – 6487 (+768)
13. The Power of Play - A Barrier Free Playground – 6358 (+960)
14. Medical equipment for a new chronic diseases clinic in Vancouver – 6232 (+1010)
15. Vera M. Welsh & community of Lac La Biche needs a new playground 5901 (+1061)

16. Building Change -A New Shelter for the RCSPCA 5102 (+709)
17. Sensory Therapy Room for kids at Lutherwood 5035 (+440)
18. Sports for all 4912 (+584)
19. Valley Park Go Green Cricket Field Project - Let There Be Lights 4871 (+707)
20. Volunteering to Independence Program "the Katimavik VIP program" 4823 (+661)

Day 6 is in full swing - we need all the votes we can get to move up the leaderboard!

Vote_Day6.jpg

maybe we should ask for a playground!!??

We have recently been overtaken by http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf14955 - Vera M. Welsh & community of Lac La Biche needs a new playground. This project was right at the bottom in the first days of the contest and now seems to be accelerating. There could be others that can suddenly have the ability to rally lots of votes.

So we all need to vote and ask as many people as possible!

I checked again how the organisations grow up after 28 hours (I wanted after 24 but I was outside). We are still in the 14 th but around 851 votes behind the 10 th place. Here are the results:

1. Undercurrent Youth Centre – 12672 (+2240)
2. Une vraie cour d'école pour ados! – 12044 (+2172)
3. Riehl skate park – 11672 (+2065)
4. Fighting for Healthy, Affordable Food in North End Halifax - 11301 (+2197)
5. Stay Strong Nick Roma 10545 (+2210)

6. Nouveau gymnase pour notre club de gymnastique Les Hirondelles – 10044 (+1853)
7. Exoskeleton for Trevor Greene, Canadian Veteran – 9706 (+1691)
8. Harder-4-Carter: The Carter Antila Memorial SkatePark – 9013 (+1549)
9. Projet Paradis / Paradis Project – 8622 (+1811)
10. Un préau pour L'École des Enfants-de-la-Terre – 8597 (+1670)

11. Castle Park's "Play for ALL", universally accessible playground – 8171 (+1684)
12. Non-profit Companion Animal Hospital & Shelter – 8085 (+1378)
13. Vera M. Welsh & community of Lac La Biche needs a new playground - 7861 (+1960)
14. Medical equipment for a new chronic diseases clinic in Vancouver – 7746 (+1514)
15. The Power of Play - A Barrier Free Playground – 7677 (+1319)

16. Excellence for Us! - 7302
17. Building Change -A New Shelter for the RCSPCA - 6133 (+1031)
18. Valley Park Go Green Cricket Field Project - Let There Be Lights - 6069 (+1198)
19. Sensory Therapy Room for kids at Lutherwood - 5835 (+800)
20. Sports for all - 5610 (+698)
21. Volunteering to Independence Program "the Katimavik VIP program" - 5552 (+729)

just one idea. we should try to involve more kids in this contest. Kids have often a lot of friends and iif they are a bit motivated they can bring a lot of votes. So if you have a kid in your family just ask him if he can promote our organisation between his friends.

New results after 20 hours. There are exactly 2 days to go:

1. Undercurrent Youth Centre – 14552 (+1880)

2. Une vraie cour d'école pour ados! – 13501 (+1457)

3. Riehl skate park – 13432 (+1760)

4. Stay Strong Nick Roma 13063 (+2518)

5. Fighting for Healthy, Affordable Food in North End Halifax - 12969 (+1668)

6. Nouveau gymnase pour notre club de gymnastique Les Hirondelles – 11783 (+1739)

7. Exoskeleton for Trevor Greene, Canadian Veteran – 11423 (+1717)

8. Harder-4-Carter: The Carter Antila Memorial SkatePark – 10281 (+1268)

9. Projet Paradis / Paradis Project – 10060 (+1438)

10. Un préau pour L'École des Enfants-de-la-Terre – 9954 (+1357)

11. Castle Park's "Play for ALL", universally accessible playground – 9600 (+1429)

12. Vera M. Welsh & community of Lac La Biche needs a new playground – 9471 (+1610)

13. Non-profit Companion Animal Hospital & Shelter – 9384 (+1299)

14. Medical equipment for a new chronic diseases clinic in Vancouver – 8923 (+1177)

15. The Power of Play - A Barrier Free Playground – 8789 (+1112)

16. Excellence for Us! – 8744 (+1442)

17. Valley Park Go Green Cricket Field Project - Let There Be Lights – 7010 (+941)

18. Building Change -A New Shelter for the RCSPCA – 6815 (+682)

19. Sensory Therapy Room for kids at Lutherwood – 6753 (+918)

20. Sports for all – 6431 (+821)

21. Volunteering to Independence Program "the Katimavik VIP program" – 6063 (+511)

While we are not currently winning in number of votes, we are carrying a huge, round the world awareness campaigns for the most neglected diseases of the developed world. Thank you so much for those wh have voted and shared this contestentry to their networks.

Being banned from Facebook, I have shared the contest on Twitter, sent to all the MP and MPP, have had a few noteworthy retweets which made my work all worthy. Being in Vancouver I have alerted the media, have shared with several health care groups and mentioned the supportive groups to the Bc Women's Foundation.

Speaking of which, they were impressed, almost 2 weeks ago to have had 100 views of the Dr Bested video, which speaks volumes about the neglect. By now, They have 1280 views. I am sure they are pleased with their investment.

So like I said, we may not be on the top, but we win for we are spreading much needed awareness.

Thank you. Keep on voting!

image.jpg

While we are not currently winning in number of votes, we are carrying a huge, round the world awareness campaigns for the most neglected diseases of the developed world. Thank you so much for those wh have voted and shared this contestentry to their networks.

[...]

Speaking of which, they were impressed, almost 2 weeks ago to have had 100 views of the Dr Bested video, which speaks volumes about the neglect. By now, They have 1280 views. I am sure they are pleased with their investment.

That's a very good point, Kati! :thumbsup:

This said, we are still in contention for a qualifcation, we need to continue putting the pedal to the metal, each ad every vote counts. let's do this!

it's not over until it's over!

I have made my last votes. The contest is over in less that half a day. I don’t see any way to “unregister”. Maybe I will change my password to “password” in case there is another contest and I forget who I was voting for this time.

I see our votes per day has risen, but we dropped to 16th place. Where is Tuha? I trust his figures more than what is on the Aviva site. Does anyone know when the official results will be posted?

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!