• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POTS and sport drinks, how to use them

how should energy drinks betaken for POTS

• a lot at once

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • small drinks in a longer timespan

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Just bicarb -- same effect for me.
Is there some place online that explains (in a scientific way) more about the "alkalizing effect" ?

I tried to search but I have no medical expertise. A lot of what I found looked a bit like pseudo-science but I'm not really the best judge.

Thanks for your replies. @JaimeS which electrolyte drink do you take or make? Do people just buy potassium chloride as a powder and add it in? I used to drink coconut water but makes my stomach worse now.

Invisible Woman

Interested in your recipe for electrolyte mix @Valentijn. Thanks for that.

So I'm doing 1/8 tsp potassium and 1/8 tsp sodium for now, in 1 cup of water. The somewhat scary thing is that it tasted really good, even before adding lemon juice, albeit a bit nauseating at the same time. I've been having an OI flare over the past week, so I'm hoping this helps :rolleyes:

I drank about half the glass, and am also drinking plain water. I'll sip the mix a bit more later I think.

I've ordered some potassium so I can give it a go. My stomach cannot handle fizzy drinks or bicarb. so they're out. I also have to be very careful with sugar intake so pre made electrolyte mixes are out too.

I am wondering if you guys sip the solution in the morning or throughout the day or just before bed? Is there a best way or is it an individual thing?

I find that drinking a glass of water before going to sleep gives a better night's rest. I've definitely been dehydrating overnight.

Invisible Woman

[Facepalm]!

Forgot to ask @Valentijn : is the lemon juice for taste or a medicinal component & if medicinal roughly how much?

Being vertical for even short periods of time is making me feel really awful so anything that can help would be amazing!

JaimeS

Thanks for your replies. @JaimeS which electrolyte drink do you take or make? Do people just buy potassium chloride as a powder and add it in? I used to drink coconut water but makes my stomach worse now.

Exactly the same here. Coconut water used to be just the thing, but now it gives me a sour stomach.

I have used the Electrolyte Power Pak, and a lot of people swear by Nuun. The electrolyte power pak I've used because it's like Emergen-C but with less sugar. Nuun was given to me at the recent conference by a helpful patient (THANK YOU!) and I felt much better and had no ill effects.

In a pinch, I use aleic salts or some other salt-blend that isn't solely NaCl, put into spring water that already has other minerals, with a pinch of baking soda too. It shouldn't taste salty, but should just have a slipperier mouth-feel.

IMO, not a doctor, &c &c

Invisible Woman

In my typically daft brain fogged way I ordered some and then read the ingredients:rolleyes:.

Sodium bicarb....:(. When I've tried it in the past it has really messed up my stomach (I have gastric issues anyway) but I guess if it's well diluted and sipped throughout the day it might be well worth a go anyway.

I'm gonna give the home recipe a try too.

See how it goes.....I shall report back.

Thanks for those who offered advice and info throughout the thread - I do so love to think there are things I can try to help myself! :thumbsup:

arewenearlythereyet

In my typically daft brain fogged way I ordered some and then read the ingredients:rolleyes:.

Sodium bicarb....:(. When I've tried it in the past it has really messed up my stomach (I have gastric issues anyway) but I guess if it's well diluted and sipped throughout the day it might be well worth a go anyway.

I'm gonna give the home recipe a try too.

See how it goes.....I shall report back.

Thanks for those who offered advice and info throughout the thread - I do so love to think there are things I can try to help myself! :thumbsup:
"Low salt" is a mix of potassium chloride and sodium chloride. Tesco do an own brand one that is cheaper and a 50:50 mix. It has anti caking agent in it but shouldn't be fizzy and seems to be a cheaper way of getting potassium.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/pro...VYrftCh1QfwqgEAQYAiABEgLeefD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was thinking of mixing this with magnesium citrate powder to make a DIY electrolyte drink.

Just my personal anecdote:
When I saw the tile of this thread I thought:
not for me, I never drink energy drinks. I can't tolerate the preservatives etc. they'd wipe me out.
Then I realised it is something I've done for years, and my ME/CFS doctor recommended too.

Low blood pressure runs in my family on my dad's side.
When I was a teen I first noticed that I was getting dizzy etc and assumed it was anemia but no.
I started taking half a tsp of salt in my palm and then washed down with water each day when I got home from school. I realised that my mother's high blood pressure meant we no longer put salt in our family dishes.

But first I'd taste a few grains on my finger:
If it tasted overwhelming, really salty, then I didn't need it.
If it tasted really good (I called it sweet but more because it tasted so good), then I needed it.

When living in India for a year as a kid, we used Gastrolote when we got the inevitable Delhi belly. It saved our lives, literally. But we learned you could just do a combo of salt and sugar at a pinch.

All I'm trying to say is that it doesn't have to be a magic formula,
although for us, being sensitive to things, keeping them balanced is easier than getting back there.

Whatever salt you have, to taste
Banana or kiwifruit sometime during the day (or whatever potassium works for you)
Water throughout the day, extra salt to taste (shouldn't taste salty, just refreshing, amounts will vary by need)
Remember magnesium if you need it (I have plenty in my diet but I also have chronic diarrhoea so I still supplement when crashing and it reduces muscle aches)

I think of it as the salt helping the water to stay put in your body - without salt, water just goes straight through.

Edited to add:
Just to be clear: I think this thread is awesome, and the detail really useful.
When I say not to worry about the exact amounts,
I just mean that the amount we need varies from day to day
And our personal ability to manage getting the right mix of electrolyte varies too
(Maybe the supermarket doesn't have it or maybe we just can't do it all today)
So, even if you can't get the perfect mix,
If you have low blood pressure or POTs without high BP
just shifting from water, to water with electrolyte = salts, is helpful.
However you do it.

Last edited: