• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Potential benefits, limitations, and harms of clinical guidelines"-Woolf et al., '99

Dolphin

Free full text: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1114973/

Clinical guidelines: potential benefits, limitations, and harms of clinical guidelines.

BMJ. 1999 Feb 20;318(7182):527-30.

Woolf SH, Grol R, Hutchinson A, Eccles M, Grimshaw J.

Source
Department of Family Practice, Virginia Commonwealth University, Fairfax, Virginia 22033, USA.

I just read this after seeing another patient quote it. As papers go, it is not that long (4 printed pages).

Main section I found of interest: Potential limitations and harms of guidelines.

Guidelines are increasingly important in many countries e.g. NICE guidelines in the UK.

Guidelines and (so-called) evidence-based medicine are closely linked so people interested in problems with evidence-based medicine might be interested in this.