• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium questions

Victronix

I only know what I said in that post of mine you quoted. That Freddd and dbkita reported that both potassium and vitamin C blocked/reduced methylfolate absorption for them. dbkita also said that his mom was taking vitamin C with methylfolate and when he told her about the blocking effect she tried taking them apart and ran into some trouble. Xara also said that she heard that iron could block methylfolate. She said she thinks she heard it from Freddd. Vitamin C actually increases absorption of iron though.
Well, I think I found out the hard way today, yet again. I avoided taking any potassium for at least an hour after mfolate and then started feeling pretty awful, assuming that's due to the effective dose increase. Blech. Well, we'll see tomorrow where I'm at.

NilaJones

Well, this is interesting. I have been feeling a bit worse for the past week, and unsure why. Stress? Pushing self too much? Fighting off that cold that's going around?

I did stop taking vit c with my methylfolate around a week ago, for no particular reason. But my symptoms now are the same as the symptoms I had last month when I decreased methylfolate for couple days, experimentally.

Heck, for all I know I could have got a speck of stealth gluten somewhere -- that would cause the same symptoms.

NilaJones

Thanks to you folks, though, I have gotten fully off the potassium pills and onto high-potassium foods, for which my intestines are very grateful! Carrot juice, dried apricots, and coconut water, FTW :).

Lotus97

Well, this is interesting. I have been feeling a bit worse for the past week, and unsure why. Stress? Pushing self too much? Fighting off that cold that's going around?

I did stop taking vit c with my methylfolate around a week ago, for no particular reason. But my symptoms now are the same as the symptoms I had last month when I decreased methylfolate for couple days, experimentally.

Heck, for all I know I could have got a speck of stealth gluten somewhere -- that would cause the same symptoms.

Methylation can put stress on your body. At least early on. Once things get working properly it will be very helpful. Aside from that, I've found limiting activities/pacing to be a very effective treatment.

I think slow release potassium is a better choice than immediate release potassium tablets. Mostly because I don't think that the immediate release tablets work very well. I think that the potassium taken is just dumped because the body tries to keep potassium tightly regulated. Slow release forms are necessary to bypass this mechanism and actually give the potassium a chance to get into the cells where it belongs.

I've taken slow release potassium for years with no problems (knock wood of course!).

Ema

Hi Ema,

Ive had to order my Potassium online, Its a generic version of k-dur so i hope and assume its the slow release type. Its 1500mg tablets and chloride.

4 years on, did you ever have any problems with it? im getting a bit paranoid after hearing about it damaging the gut