• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium = drained?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about people feeling drained after taking potassium?

I was doing the Freddd protocol, but have switched over to the simple methylation protocol for the last week or so - I couldn't tolerate HB12 at first, but do now and I prefer it to the rollercoaster that MB12 puts me on.

Some variants of potassium (e.g. gluconate) nearly floor me. Potassium citrate seems to be the least impacting, but still it will block my cognition and make me feel very drained for about 1 hour.

Any ideas appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hmmmm, after thinking the feeling was a bit like when ALA runs out, I searched for "potassium and chelation" and found this:

"Potassium Citrate aids in mercury removal from the body"
https://www.holisticmd.org/mercury-toxicity/protocol-for-chelation/

I'd better do some more ALA rounds. I really wish I hadn't eaten so much fish now! Doh! (but at one point it was all my pretty extreme histamine intolerance would allow me to eat)

Runner5

Usually potassium supplementation is limited (at least in the US by the FDA) because it can impact the heart, so 100mg (the max allowed here where I live) isn't really enough to do much of anything - compared to say eating a tomato.

I am unfamiliar with the Fred protocol - honestly - people post about it here all the time and it's always absolutely awful side effects, horrible things going on with it and no one - not one person saying, "whoo hoo I feel great now!" So yeah, even if paid a million bucks I wouldn't try it. no way.

pamojja

Usually potassium supplementation is limited (at least in the US by the FDA) because it can impact the heart, so 100mg (the max allowed here where I live) isn't really enough to do much of anything - compared to say eating a tomato.

Only pills and capsules are limited to 99mg, because in that concentrated form could damage the stomach walls. There are higher dose prescription potassium pills available, which I too wouldn't take for mentioned reasons. Otherwise it's freely available as powders (potassium citrate, chloride, bicarbonate..) and well dissolved in water pose absolutely no harm. I take about 2.5 g/d of supplemented elemental potassium at the moment (and to regularly check my electrolytes labs).

I am unfamiliar with the Fred protocol - honestly - people post about it here all the time and it's always absolutely awful side effects, horrible things going on with it and no one - not one person saying, "whoo hoo I feel great now!" So yeah, even if paid a million bucks I wouldn't try it. no way.

Honestly, I'm completely fascinated by Freds protocol posts. Because I started comprehensive supplementation 10 years ago due to a PAD diagnosis and 60% walking-disabilty, which only went away with my interventions after 6 years (beside supplementation also life-style changes). So I've took all these mentioned nutrients, some in really high doses, but I never experienced even one of the side-effects reported as in Fred's protocol posts. Only side-benefits. Fascinating.

I totally understand where you are coming from as I used to think that way also - for 18 months I avoided touching anything to do with methylation as I just didn't want to get onto the rollercoaster.

However, for some people, it is the right thing to do at a particular point in their recovery. For example, my glutathione reserves were absolutely shot (one of the reasons I couldn't tolerate HB12, or even just standard garlic, previously). Following the Freddd protocol for a 3-4 months has enabled me to build up my glutathione in a gradual and sustainable way, which now stands me in great stead for trying other other things that I couldn't tolerate before..

For me, it looks like my heavy metals burden is now blocking my progress on anything to do with methylation, so I will need to sort that out before continuing.