• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium Citrate vs Chloride?

taroki

Which type of potassium is recommended? Is powder better than the capsules?

Ever since starting methylation (MethylB12, MethylFolate, TMG), I have noticed huge headaches/migraines quite frequently. The first time it happened was when I took too high dose of methylfolate in the beginning (1000mg), now it happens all the time with many supplements/detox things I take.

I am hoping taking potassium might help with these head pains. Along with tight shoulder/trap/upper back muscles, mild constipation, anxiety, palpitations, frequent thirst, etc.

I am hoping taking potassium might help with these head pains. Along with tight shoulder/trap/upper back muscles, mild constipation, anxiety, palpitations, frequent thirst, etc.

I have exactly the same things, while I have tentavely take potassium, Im to scared to take too much, The muscle soreness has gone up into the back of my head, it feels so tight! I have increase food potassium and have some relief today but not completely. I have cut down on my B12 and folate also.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Most potassium pills are a very small percent of the daily value, so you can take quite a few in a day. Just don't take very many at a time as they can irritate the digestive tract (that is why they are small) and drink plenty of fluid with them. Chloride is acidic and particularly bad about this. Citrate inhibits the formation of stones. However, like about everything else we deal with, different people prefer different forms of potassium.

Freddd

Which type of potassium is recommended? Is powder better than the capsules?

Ever since starting methylation (MethylB12, MethylFolate, TMG), I have noticed huge headaches/migraines quite frequently. The first time it happened was when I took too high dose of methylfolate in the beginning (1000mg), now it happens all the time with many supplements/detox things I take.

Be aware of these symptoms.

Version 1.2 12/08/2013

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with CyCbl (Cyanocobalamin) it is very common with MeCbl (methylcobalamin) and AdoCbl (adenosylcobalamin) and less so with HyCbl (Hydroxycobalamin).

There does not appear to be a clear order of onset. The order of onset varies widely from person to person but many appear consistent for each episode for any given person. There tend to be more and more intense symptoms as it gets worse. Some people have ended up in the ER because of not recognizing the symptoms.

IBS – Steady constipation, Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum,

Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness

Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), increased pulse rate, increased blood pressure

Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.

Group 2a - Both

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Group 2b – Either or both

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency

These symptoms appear in 2 forms generally, the milder symptoms that start with partial methylation block and the more severe symptoms that come on as partial methylation block gets worse or very quickly with methyltrap onset.

Edema - An additional thing I would like to mention. I would never have found it without 5 years of watching the onset of paradoxical folate insufficiency and trying to catch it earlier and earlier and to figure out what was causing it and to reverse it. For me the onset order goes back to the day of onset now with edema and a sudden increase of weight. I noticed that within 2 hours of taking sufficient Metafolin I would have an increase in urine output.

Old symptoms returning

Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores,

Skin rashes, increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips,

Increased hypersensitive responses, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract,

Coated tongue, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Increase irritability, Heart palpitations,

Longer term, very serious

Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, bleeding easily

Group 4 - Hydroxycbl onset, degraded methylcbl onset, methylcbl after photolytic breakdown onset.

Itchy bumps generally on scalp or face that dev