• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium Block l-Methylfolate?

Could someone please clear up for me , if Potassium supplementation(possibly within 5mthf's 3 hour halflife) can block l-methylfolate absorption?

i believe ive read Freddd state this before; but i very possibly read it wrong..

Let's look at the half lifes then. While 99% of the B12s are out of the body in a day, it takes about 3 days for b12 deficiency symptoms to start getting worse after a number of doses. The AdoCbl has a 99% loss from the bloodstram in 24 hours BUT once it is in the mitochondria it appears closer to 71 day tissue halflife. The l-methylfolate has about 3 hours halflife. I go into folate insufficiency simply by missing a single dose or having it blocked by potassium.
Freddd
said the above in post #8 on this page http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-smp-preferable-to-just-take-b12-first.22213/

SJB944

Anyone else also experienced potassium blocking methyfolate? Do you have to take them apart, I've never seen any explanation of this @Freddd ?

Mary

Moderator Resource
I've been taking methylfolate and potassium together for the last several years with no problem (that I know of!) Maybe I'd absorb the methylfolate better taken separately from potassium, though I don't seem to have any absorption problems. I do need a fair amount of potassium since starting the methylfolate, however.

SJB944

Thanks @Mary me too. I've been taking together for some years, and more recently taking methylfolate sublingually, which I noticed was an improvement -- but then I was wondering if the block only occurred when taken together orally.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thanks @Mary me too. I've been taking together for some years, and more recently taking methylfolate sublingually, which I noticed was an improvement -- but then I was wondering if the block only occurred when taken together orally.

Interesting - what brand sublingual methylfolate do you take? It might be worth an experiment for me to try it! :)

SJB944

I actually just use Solgar Folate (metafolin) but place it under my lip and let it dissolve -- it seemed to produce better absorption.