• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possible symptoms of not converting correctly folic acid to active folate

What are the possible symptoms of not converting folic acid to active folate?

What are others vitamins and minerals that this converting is a part of their process inside the body?

richvank

Hi, Rachel.

To convert folic acid to methylfolate, four sequential reactions are required. The first two require NADPH, which is based on vitamin B3, and it requires some additional metabolism to form NADPH, including burning of glucose via the pentose phosphate shunt on the glycolysis chain. Magnesium is also needed. These two reactions convert folic acid to tetrahydrofolate (THF).

Next, a reaction is needed to convert THF to methylene THF, and that is usually done using serine via the SHMT reaction. Then methylene THF must be converted to methylfolate via the MTHFR reaction, which requires vitamin B2 and NADPH.

I don't favor using folic acid to treat ME/CFS, because some people have genetic issues that slow these various reactions, and NADPH is found to be low in many PWMEs. It's preferable to use methylfolate, which avoids this reaction pathway.

Best regards,

Rich

alex3619

There was a paper on this not long ago, possible symptoms include failed NK cell function, cancer and dementia. So far this is only association, no causal mechanisms have been proved. However, in that study (does anyone recall the name?) nearly four out of five post menopausal women cannot properly convert folic acid. As we get older it becomes more and more of a problem. This is not a minority of the population, its a majority of older people and an unknown percentage of younger people. Bye, Alex

Hi, Rachel.

To convert folic acid to methylfolate, four sequential reactions are required. The first two require NADPH, which is based on vitamin B3, and it requires some additional metabolism to form NADPH, including burning of glucose via the pentose phosphate shunt on the glycolysis chain. Magnesium is also needed. These two reactions convert folic acid to tetrahydrofolate (THF).

Next, a reaction is needed to convert THF to methylene THF, and that is usually done using serine via the SHMT reaction. Then methylene THF must be converted to methylfolate via the MTHFR reaction, which requires vitamin B2 and NADPH.

I don't favor using folic acid to treat ME/CFS, because some people have genetic issues that slow these various reactions, and NADPH is found to be low in many PWMEs. It's preferable to use methylfolate, which avoids this reaction pathway.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich,

In my second question I meant- Are there another process that involve this converting as for example, other vitamins that their process in the body connect to converting folic to folinic acid.

I had negative symptoms after I tried the methyl mate B. Is there a similiar chance to have the same responses when taking the follate? Does the pottasium also decrease after taking follate?

Vegas

Hi, Rachel.

Best regards,

Rich
What are the possible symptoms of not converting folic acid to active folate?

On the topic of a conversion problem:

After having taken 5-MTHF since Sept. 2010, I stopped taking it a few months ago. I also, had not taken any other supplemental folates since that time. For some reason, I recently decided to take a couple tabs of 800 mcg folinic acid just to see what would happen. This proved to be a big mistake as I promptly developed a very severe mood fluctuation in a matter of hours. It was not pretty, in fact it was one of the worst days I can ever recall. While I had taken folinic in the past as part of the SMP, it was always or nearly always concurrently with MTHF. Perhaps this having never taken folinic acid independently along with the 2 months without MTHF explains why I have never experienced such a reaction. In this case, I have to wonder about the problems caused by the inefficient conversion of 5-formyltetrahydrofolate.

Rich, I remember you wrote about the possible involvement of MTHFS, which catalyzes the conversion of formyl to methyltetrhydrofolate, but I wonder about the involvement of formyltetrathydrofolate dehydrogenase, which I believe catalyzes excess formyltetrahydrofolate back to tetrahydrofolate. Have you already discussed the possibility that some have not only difficulty making methyl, but recycling formyl back to tetrahydrofolate via the dehydrogenase enzyme. Could chronic deficiency of some of the nutrients here result in changes in gene expression that would in effect prioritize or bias the other reactions?

P.S. Speaking of formyltetrathydrofolate dehydrogenase,I know a Co-A/phosphopantethine prosthetic group is involved with this particular reaction. I only mention it because I have always derived so much benefit from pantethine.

Cindi

Hi all.I have a b12 supplement that contains calcium folinate.Similar to Rachel's experience, whenever I try it it makes me very depressed even to point of being suicidal. Effect lasts at least 24 hours.Divided tablet I take contains approximately 200 mcg calcium folinate and 500 mcg hydroxycobalamin.I do not have this problem with 5 MTHF. I do not have any problems when I take hydroxycobalamin eitherJust wished to ask if there any explanation to this?.(Note:I do not know much about methylation pathways and i am not on methylation supplements.) Thanks.