• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possible reasons why I need oxygen

bertiedog

Reasons for needing oxygen in ME/CFS

I read a very informative article from the Medical Insider which I think has helped me to identify why it might be that I need oxygen and wonder if others have worked out why they benefit from oxygen?

In the section about Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) it says that this is an endotoxin equivalent to Hydrogen Cyanide and the reason for having high levels is the action of bad bacteria, yeasts, fungi and parasites fermenting sugar in the GI tract. As H2S is a natural byproduct of various bodily processes (producted by the brain, pancreas and GI tract) it plays a role in regulation of the blood pressure, body temperature, vascular smooth muscle, cardiac function, cerebral ischemia and in modulation the HPA axis (most of these involved in the POTS I suffer with),

Because it is a natural substance oxidative enzymes exist in the body capable of detoxifying H2S by oxidation to harmless sulphate. Elevated levels of H2S in the blood and tissues show that the body’s oxidative enzymes cannot effectively deal with other chemical toxins from the blood in addition to the H2S (from bad bacteria, yeasts, parasites) or chemical drugs. All this causes damage to the mitochondria thereby blocking oxygen from binding and stopping cellular respiration.

Many of you may remember in 2009 Kenny De Meirleir brought out a simple home test to see the level of H2S in the urine. I remember mine turned dark black very quickly which meant I had high levels of H2S.

In addition a test I had on Cardiolipin Function showed the Cytochrome C Oxidative enzyme which is involved in ATP production showed that I had low numbers of this enzyme and 50% of the ones I had were being blocked by nickel. I also had raised nickel in my red blood cells. Dr McClaren Howard who did the test said that the nickel could basically stop the Cytochrome enzyme from working properly.

Unfortunately for whatever reason I have been unable to get rid of the nickel or the mold I have in my gut despite rotating anti-fungals since 2008 and also good probiotics. Could it be the low oxygen environment stopping my cells from dealing with the mold and the nickel? I will have to check to see what it was I was supposed to take to get rid of the nickel but I do remember I couldn’t tolerate it as it gave me horrendous migraines.

The above seems to fit together but I am also aware that Dr Lerner has demonstrated that Herpes type viruses stop the cardiac function from working as it should and that by treating them with anti-virals improvements can be made in a percentage of patients. As I do have raised antibodies to Cytomeglovirus I recently started Immunovir to cover that possibility. It certainly is a complicated picture but I think I now have some idea as to why I am benefitting from oxygen and likely to for quite some time if not Dr Myhill and also to get rid of the mold/yeasts in my gut but at least there is some hope now.

Pam

Pam

globalpilot

It sounds reasonable Pam and the nice thing is you have a marker (H2S) to monitor your progress. If you can get it down to normal levels and still don't feel well, you know something else needs to be looked into. I had the H2S too and it was normal. I have such bad gut problems and I can't believe every test I do comes back normal.

I forget if there was a protocal for the H2S producing microbes or not.