• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possibile intentional community in Reno? Or elsewhere in the US?

Hey, I know this idea has been thrown around before (most recently and prominently on Dr. Jamie's blog), but it struck me as a really good one. Is anyone else with neuroimmune disease interested in starting an intentional community (or, hell, just sharing a house with caregivers and air purifers) in, say, Reno (or else where -- I am in Seattle)?

What I'm envisioning with Reno is having a large house (big enough that costs can be low for all room mates) with a spare room to let for people visiting Dr. Peterson or the WPI. I'm totally receptive to the idea of forming this kind of community in Seattle, too, though. Is anybody else interested? Has it been tried before? Have any ideas regardless?

h

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
This is kind of related to my question. There is a couple people on other forums whose friends and families have left them, they are having problems getting disability, and are about to be kicked out of their homes. I think this community is a great idea.

Also, I remember someone stating on this forum or another that they were going to start a roommate listing. Does anyone remember who that person was or if they started it? If so, can you send the info to me. I want to give it to these people I mentioned. Thanks.

Tammie

you're rt that this has been discussed, and persoanlly I think it's a great idea & an option that i would love to have avaiable; however, I could not move to Reno or Seattle, as the very few peopel I have left in my life and the very few things that still bring me joy are in IL (& it would kill me to move away from them as they are really the only reasons I have for staying alive at the moment)....and also I could not handle the weather in Seattle, not sure about Reno

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
quite a few years ago Judy Warrington tried to get a community together in Aiken SC. She first started out w/ a retreat in MA and then originally bought a large bit of land in SC. When that proved too big of a project she worked with the city of Aiken in their redevelopment project of Toole Hill. Not sure whatever became of that. Links to the project no longer work. Would be interesting to know what became of it.

I did dig up some articles and threads about it :
AIKEN, SC - COMMUNITY FORMING (posted 03 2006 ) AIKEN, SC ReCreation Health & Wholeness is developing a housing community which will meet the needs of people disabled by CFIDS and Fibromyalgia. Reasonably priced housing will be available to PWCs; their families; personal care givers; mainstream and alternative practitioners and other professionals who are able to provide support and services in the community. For a number of years, the founders (who have their own disabilities) have owned a Guest House/Retreat in Gloucester, MA which serves to this population. They purchased land in Aiken, South Carolina and are planning the site. (For economic reasons, the first phase of the PWC Cohousing project cannot accommodate people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). However, theyve been inundated with inquiries from MCS folk. Because of this, theyve decided to offer part or all of one of the South Carolina sites for sale to those who are interested in forming a group to build an MCS-compatible community. This is a 27-acre piece of land adjacent to the Aiken Gopher Tortoise Heritage Preserve. If some are interested in purchasing the land and building MCS-safe housing, contact us as soon as possible.) www.pwccohousing.org/index.htm e-mail: recreation@adelphia.net

http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2006/housing.asp

a thread on starting something up in NV that includes a bit on Aiken project :
http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1378602

an old article on co housing for PWCs that popped up :
http://www.cfids-cab.org/wisdom/housing.htm