• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Positive Studies

usedtobeperkytina

With the topic listed as "Study Number 4", I think we are overlooking some other studies that are favorable or favorable aspects of the other studies.

Number 1: CC found XMRV in prostate cancer
Number 2: WPI, NCI and CC found XMRV in CFSers (This was a triple play)
Number 3: Ila Sing found connection between prostate cancer and XMRV
Number 4: Study shows XMRV responds to AZT
Number 5: Study shows XMRV reacts to androgens
Number 6: Study shows XMRV is found in immune system cells, add to that lung, GI, reproductive, lymph and spleen.

So folks, let's not lose sight of the advances. Although the WPI / NCI / CC study has not specifically been "validated" or "replicated," much of what they have claimed has been.

XMRV is a newly discovered infectious human retrovirus. Considering all the different cells where it lives, is it logical that the only illness it likely contributes to is prostate cancer? (I know it hasn't been proven to be a cause of prostate cancer.) And WPI is the clinic that discovered it is infectious. Even some of the negative studies have confirmed that XMRV is infectious. I mean, the pictures don't lie. No matter what is proven about CFS, WPI discovered that XMRV is infectious to humans.

Also, considering that XMRV infects the same immune system cells that we see are abnormal in CFS, confirmed by a separate study, then is it logical to think WPI finding XMRV in higher rate in CFS patients was incorrect?

In addition to looking and criticizing the claims of what is not, let's also focus on the proof of what is.

Tina

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
ladybugmandy,

Here is the info (from my unpublished source) on tests carried out by WPI. I don't think this includes any numbers from VIP.

There have been over 300 verified positives so far.

The virus has been isolated from over 90% of the (antibody) serology positives.

usedtobeperkytina

lady, true. I was sticking to published studies since that is all researchers and doctors believe in.

So some things have been established that will lead to more research into XMRV. Those other three studies will not stop that.

Tina