• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

pompholyx / Dyshidrotic Eczema : Anyone else got this?

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
Hmmmm...

I never thought to connect my dishydrotic eczema to ME as I had it for a year or two pre-ME.
I thought mine was connected to both my Nickel allergies and Celiac, as it went away for quite a while with these under control. But it has just recently returned :meh:
And I can't figure out why. Though so far it is not want-to-scratch-your-hands-off itchy this time. I'm hoping it stays that way.
Going to try out the Epsom salts mentioned above, I had never heard of that before.

slysaint

Hi folks. I'm new to this forum but have had ME for 14 years. I too suffered from occasional bouts of pompholyx on my hands but had not had any for about 15 years until I got ME. Long story short, my sensitivities/allergies increased and I put it all down to the ME. However, last year the most horrendous nightmare started. I'd been trying to get rid of the pompholyx for a few months using the topical steroid cream cultivate. But it only seemed to be making things worse. One day in march both hand back and front were covered in weeping angry blisters. A gp said it was contact dermatitis and put me on a round of prednisolone. It seemed to work but a week after the course finished it came back with a vengeance and I started getting big itchy spots on other areas. Things got progressively worse even after another course of oral steroids. I had rashes and lesions allover my body which a dermatologist said was extensive, severe eczema. I won't go into all the other symptoms but a lot were like the worst of the early ME ones.
I was prescribed dermovate, one of the strongest topical steroids available, on repeat prescription along with a thick emollient. My skin was unbelievably dry. Fast forward to September,October. After some digging on the internet I found out about steroid induced eczema/red skin syndrome and most importantly I found ITSAN. International topical steroid awareness network. I have been an active member on the forum there since then. What brings me here is there appear to be a number of overlaps between the two conditions and the steroid connection and the hpa axis suppression thing.
My ME started after pneumonia and several courses of antibiotics.....plus I was put on a nebuliser a couple of times, and prescribed inhalers, both steroid based. As I go through tsw(topical steroid withdrawal) and participate on the itsan forum I see so many similarities, not least the tsw sufferers struggle to get the condition recognised by the medical community. This is slowly happening in various different countries across the world. The UK are slow to see the elephant in the room, but then as any longterm ME sufferer knows...been there, done it,......
I'm here because I'm convinced there is a connection.

slysaint

Gosh, I'd forgotten about my post here. Seems like a lifetime ago or one big nightmare. Just to let you know.....over two years steroid free, stopped needing to moisturise all my body about a year ago, and my torso about a year and a half ago. No real pompholyx/DE for 2 years. Had one tiny spot which I dabbed a bit of ACV on and its dried up and gone. Skin almost completely back to normal (still a bit sensitive).
Unfortunately, the M.E. didn't go too.

merylg

Did supervised elimination diet. Good response to total removal of white potato from diet. Allergist/Immunologist said was true allergy to the protein in the white potato. Some varieties of potato seem worse than others. Now mostly substitute kumera sweet potato.

Also ended up removing coffee from diet but that was causing another severe skin allergy problem. Hive-like sores on upper back.

Had recurrence of the hand rash though. Then by chance a week on Doxycycline for ?SIBO prescribed by Gastroenterologist cleared up the persistent severe Pompholyx eczema on hands. Read into that what you will but it saved me from getting Dermy's script filled for the strongest topical steroid available. Dermatologist happy.

I also have to avoid those commercial hand washes that are popular. Have contact allergies to various chemicals confirmed by patch testing at a Dermatology clinic.

I’ve suffered from these little blustery buggers on/off nearly all my life! They can be maddening… Topical treatment is definitely NOT the way to go, they are (at least in my case) manifesting due to an inner / intestinal imbalance.

from what I’ve gathered, they seem to have a direct correlation with my gut health. If im binging too much carbs / sugars I can have a flare up. In the past, citrus was also something that brought them on. If gut is unhappy, smoking medicinal cannabis can also bring them on (smoking anything can directly affect the gut). I feel like there’s definitely a correlation with pompholyx & leaky gut / levels of gut permeability.