• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Were you breast fed?

Were you breast fed?

• Yes

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters

oerganix

Dr Klimas has said it "appears" that XMRV is transmitted through breast milk, "you're born with it." Dr Mikovits has said something similar.

dannybex

Weird question...

...but how can anyone make the claim that we're 'born with it'? Has that been proven, or is it just her opinion?

:confused:

Marylib

Not just breast milk perhaps

On another thread (God help me I have no idea which one) George explains how one could be born with it, passed down from either mama or dada....it is a placental thing perhaps. Note all the "perhaps." I am the last one to ask...

As far a breast feeding...I can safely say I don't remember, and mama mia has passed away. But most babies are breast fed at first aren't they? Then perhaps switched to formula?

oerganix

Dr Klimas on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftbsOkYVxE

At about 3:50 on the video, if I remember right.

Of course it can only be an opinion at this point, but I found it surprising that both she and Dr Mikovits said something like this, so early.

Dr Klimas did say "it appears....", so she can always change her opinion. This is not incompatible with the theory that everyone or almost everyone has XMRV and something else either sets it loose on the immune system, or it allows something else, like EBV or stealth bacteria to be more destructive that it otherwise would be.

Another youtube, with Mikovits saying something similar, in an interview re: autism. Breast milk statement at about 1:20 on video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftbsOkYVxE

Includes an interesting comment on how XMRV gets into those immune cells, with visuals.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
suddenly shy

I was going to check "I don't know," and got suddenly shy as my name would be the only one there in the I don't know column.

My answer is "I think I was, but no one really knows. My mom had eight kids and tried sometimes and other times couldn't but can't quite remember who was what."

My three kids were breast fed and all are healthy so far.

oerganix

Public poll?

When I set this up, I checked the box that said responders would not be identified. And, when I look at the poll, all I see are the numbers. So, it seems like the warning that your choice will be public is misleading, and that is why I added the note that it is not public.

If someone can tell me how to change or remove this, I will. I have asked Cort for advice, but anyone else who can help me out would be appreciated.

cfs since 1998

When I set this up, I checked the box that said responders would not be identified. And, when I look at the poll, all I see are the numbers. So, it seems like the warning that your choice will be public is misleading, and that is why I added the note that it is not public.
I can see everyone's usernames and how they voted. Checking the checkbox makes the responders' names public, not the other way around.

"If someone can tell me how to change or remove this, I will. I have asked Cort for advice, but anyone else who can help me out would be appreciated"

i m sure e.e marshall can help u on this one too : )

oerganix

It's fixed - poll now private

You can now participate in the poll without having your name appear.

I apologize to those who answered before it was fixed. I can only blame my ME/CFS-induced dylexia.

Cort, thank you for your patience and all you do here.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
trying to do our best

How heartbreaking that by trying to do the very best we could for our babies by breast feeding we may have inadvertently passed on a forever retro-virus that has the potential to cause (or is causing) a wretched disease.

A

anne

I know. I struggled so hard to breastfeed. Our little boy was a preemie and I pumped for months and months and worked and worked at it.

The only--uh---consolation is it seems just as likely that I could have passed it through the placenta!

K

Katie

An idea for a follow up poll could be to ask whether people were born via C-section or not. One of the biggest risks with a HIV mother giving birth is blood mixing intrapartum (during labour) so a C-section is typically offered. See wiki. I haven't done a massive amount of research as it's probably not the healthiest course of action considering there are a lot more questions to answer and I don't want to write myself off as childless just yet.

Very interesting poll. So many questions to answer, I am the definition of an impatient patient.

anne_likes_red

Another one who...

had to express milk (for 2 children). I couldn't b/feed easily.....doctor thought the strange levels of pituitary hormones I had may have accounted for some of my troubles. I wonder if a significant number of mothers with ME/CFS have trouble breastfeeding?
So I pumped 12 1/2 months for one baby and 13 1/2 for the other. It was hard work and massively time consuming. I'll feel sad if it turns out they have xmrv and that's the way they aquired it....but know I did what I felt was absolutely best for them at the time. What more can you do than that?

I was breastfed myself :)

A

anne

Very nicely said, Anne. And I give you lots of credit for pumping for a total of 26 months of your life. 6 months of constant pumping nearly did me in.

dannybex

had to express milk (for 2 children). I couldn't b/feed easily.....doctor thought the strange levels of pituitary hormones I had may have accounted for some of my troubles. I wonder if a significant number of mothers with ME/CFS have trouble breastfeeding?
So I pumped 12 1/2 months for one baby and 13 1/2 for the other. It was hard work and massively time consuming. I'll feel sad if it turns out they have xmrv and that's the way they aquired it....but know I did what I felt was absolutely best for them at the time. What more can you do than that?

I was breastfed myself :)

Please don't be so hard on yourself Anne. Keep in mind that there are a lot more 'healthy' people with XMRV than there are sick. Plus, they may not even have it...so please try not to worry. :)