• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Viral vs. Non-Viral Onset and Contagious Relationship

Was your me/cfs onset viral/non-viral and if a close genetic/non-genetic family member have me/cfs?

• I am female. My onset was viral. I have a genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I am female. My onset was viral. I DON'T have a genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • I am female. My onset was viral. I have a NON-genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I am female. My onset was viral. I DON'T have a NON-genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I am female. My onset was NON-viral. I have a genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

• I am female. My onset was NON-viral. I DON'T have a genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

• I am female. My onset was NON-viral. I have a NON-genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I am female. My onset was NONviral. I DON'T have a NON-genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

• I am male. My onset was viral. I have a genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

• I am male. My onset was viral. I DON'T have a genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • I am male. My onset was viral. I have a NON-genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I am male. My onset was viral. I DON'T have a NON-genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I am male. My onset was NON-viral. I have a genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

• I am male. My onset was NON-viral. I DON'T have a genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I am male. My onset was NON-viral. I have a NON-genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am male. My onset was NON-viral. I DON'T have a NON-genetic famly member with me/cfs or symptoms

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other. Please explain in thread.

• Total voters

sorin

I´m curious as to why people say they had a viral onset - how do you know it wasn´t bacterial? Or even fungal?
In my case it was a very strong flu (most probably caused by H1N1 swine flu) with respiratory complications, painful enlarged lymph nodes, fatigue, dizziness, muscular pain. So having this facts I can not see how I could consider this bacterial or fungal caused.

A paper I came across that relates to viral vs non-viral CFS subtypes

"Significantly more individuals in the viral group (24%) reported cohabitating with individuals having
severe fatigue for six months or longer than did members of the non viral group (10%). These findings demonstrate that in the viral group, living in close proximity to others with fatiguing illnesses (possibly resultant of viral exposure) may play a role in the onset or maintenance of the illness."

Full article here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3951052/

What's everyone's opinion on this study?

Last edited:

msf

My opinion is that they should have said infectious onset rather than viral.

From the paper:

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) has been linked with exposure to several viruses and other infectious agents, with many onsets reported following primary infection with acute Mononucleosis, Lyme disease, and Q fever among others (Komaroff, 2000). Additionally, acute infections by enteroviruses may persist in patients resulting in manifestations of CFS (Chia & Chia 2008). Infection with or the reactivation of these viruses and possibly others (e.g., HSV-1, HHV-6, Epstein Barr virus, and Cytomegalovirus) may be involved the relapsing and remitting pathogenesis of CFS (Englebienne & De Meirleir, 2002).

It seems very sloppy to include Lyme and Q fever as viruses.

Tammy

I´m curious as to why people say they had a viral onset - how do you know it wasn´t bacterial? Or even fungal?
Tested positive for EBV
Edit: Sorry for repetition..........just saw your subsequent question.

Last edited: