• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

poll on rifaximin

rifaximin or other gut antibiotics, how did they work for you

• improved and the effects lasted

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • improved but the effects wore off

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • no change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • initially worse and then improved

• I just felt worse

• Total voters
I just started Rifaximin and it feels great, but searching on this forum i found that many say that the effects wear off... there were about 100 pages of posts on this and many that were slightly off topic so i decided to make a poll, but i am not really sure how to do this, i want a poll with the question how has rifaximin or similar antibiotics for the gut worked for you
1. Improved and effects lasted
2. Improved but effects wore off
3. No change
4. Worse initially but then improvement
5. i felt worse

Timaca

I took a two week course of rifaximin after taking a two week course of oral vancomycin. I was trying to get rid of C. difficile which I had suffered with for 11 long months. I had taken lots of treatment for that problem and nothing had worked. The "rifaximin" chaser worked and I am so grateful: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/744157

I took the rifaximin for a specific reason (to get rid of C. difficile). It worked for me, and I am so grateful to God that it did.

Best, Timaca

nanonug

Xifaxan worked for me but the effects did wear off.

The problem, in my opinion, is that Xifaxan is addressing a symptom instead of a cause: either severe gut dysbiosis or some kind of bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Normalizing colon flora or small intestine motility are probably the two things that would solve the problem once and for all. I am not exactly sure how to successfully address either of these, though.