• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll on Immunoglobulin antibodies - Please respond if you've been tested!

I have tested below normal, or in the bottom 10% of range at least once for each of the following:

• IgA

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • IgG (total)

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • IgM

• IgG1

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • IgG2

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • IgG3

• IgG4

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • IgE

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • One or more of these are ABOVE normal or in the top 10% of the range (please specify in a response)

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

JaimeS

Just wondering how common it is for us to have documented immunodeficiencies here on PR.

If you have had one of these (IgE for example) very HIGH, please select this response and elaborate in a comment.

Thank you so much, guys! Please spread this around, inquiring minds want to know. :)

Um, I should also say that you can choose a bunch of answers, as many as you like. :)

-J

Last edited:

Thinktank

My IgE was highly elevated about 2 years ago, i have to retest soon.
High IgE was accompanied by high % eosinophils. Eosinophils are now back in normal range. I suspect i had a parasitic infection or simply an unusual allergic reaction.

Total globulin is borderline low but IgG, IgM, IgA is within normal range.

Edit: IgG3 was in the lower 10% 2 years ago.

Last edited:

SOC

I am in the 10% or below range in everything except IgA where I'm in the bottom 15% and IgG3, which is normal (bottom 25%). I haven't been tested for IgE, but I'd like to be as I suspect it may be abnormal as well.

Hanna

- IgE normal
- IgA slightly deficient
- IgG deficient, I have no details. In the past IgG were in normal range, with IgG3 elevated
- IgM were elevated (+15% > maximum)

Kati

Patient in training
Your poll excludes those who tested above 10% range. You won't be able to get conclusions if you do not count those who test within rangel

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I agree with Kati that you need a denominator here, JaimeS. My estimate is that between a third and a quarter of nromal healthy people would tick one of your boxes. So even if everyone on PR was fit and healthy you could get 300 people ticking the box.

JaimeS

Your poll excludes those who tested above 10% range

One or more of these are ABOVE normal or in the top 10% of the range (please specify in a response)

You won't be able to get conclusions if you do not count those who test within rangel

I think 'never been tested' may work, because if you don't list high, low, or 'never been tested' then normal is covered implicitly. Still, one more response is important either way, and your point is valid. The high number of respondents for IgA, for example, could be due to that value getting tested more often than the others rather than due to that being the general trend. :(

My estimate is that between a third and a quarter of nromal healthy people would tick one of your boxes.

When over half of respondents say that they have been tested to have low or nearly-low IgA at some point, it's indicative that it might be worth pursuing further.

Still, if you were to write it, I assume you would ditch the 10% part and do the 32-part question? Is there anything else you would add?

-J

JaimeS

Honestly, I'm not explaining myself too well up there. Having a bit of a harried day; I'll be back though and maybe I'll re-work this so it makes more sense.

-J

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
I think the 'never been tested' is more important, because if you don't list high, low, or 'never been tested' then normal is covered implicitly. Still, one more response is important either way, and your point is valid. The high number of respondents for IgA, for example, could be due to that value getting tested more often than the others rather than due to that being the general trend. :(
What you can't tell is whether someone like me, who doesn't fit your poll, has never been tested or is mid range.

FWIW, I've only been tested for IgA and I'm well within range.

Kati

Patient in training
One or more of these are ABOVE normal or in the top 10% of the range (please specify in a response)

I think 'never been tested' may work, because if you don't list high, low, or 'never been tested' then normal is covered implicitly. Still, one more response is important either way, and your point is valid. The high number of respondents for IgA, for example, could be due to that value getting tested more often than the others rather than due to that being the general trend. :(

When over half of respondents say that they have been tested to have low or nearly-low IgA at some point, it's indicative that it might be worth pursuing further.

Still, if you were to write it, I assume you would ditch the 10% part and do the 32-part question? Is there anything else you would add?

-J

Above normal means to me abnormal
Top 10% range means to me 90th percentile and above.

What about those who are sick with ME but whose Ig are between 10% and 90% range? They exist.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
These things are worth doing JaimeS. The problem is the methodology. When I polled for thyroid problems I decided I had to pick a list of names at random and make sure that I got responses from nearly all of them. That way the responses were not biased by people 'trying to be helpful'. We need to do this sort of thing on Biobank cohorts that have been collected without anybody asking any questions in advance. I hope that will happen with the Biobank Charles Shepherd and MEA are involved with. We may be getting there. Looking for immunoglobulin shifts would be an easy one to do. Maybe we should have a thread for what PR thinks should be a priority list for these sorts of basic measures to do once the Biobank cohort is complete and ready to test. We might find it has already been done as a basic screening of the samples being stored.

SOC

Your poll excludes those who tested above 10% range. You won't be able to get conclusions if you do not count those who test within rangel
Yeah, polls can be fun and interesting, but almost impossible to do scientifically, so conclusions drawn from them can't be taken very seriously. Still.... they can be interesting and lead to more scientific further investigations.

This poll, like all other online polls, is subject to respondent bias. People who have an interest in the topic are more likely to respond than people who have no interest. In this case, people with abnormal tests are much more likely to respond than those with normal tests, so the percentage numbers have little to do with the percentage of abnormal tests in the overall PR population.

That said, I'm curious to see if we have many, or only a few, people here willing to report Ig abnormalities.

Last edited:
I've had all the immunologic tests done. So far, everything comes back normal except NK cell function which came back alarmingly low at 0 Lytic Units. But I am using LDN and it is slowly but surely improving. It's all the way up to 23 right now.

Pyrrhus