• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: How many steps do you take a day?

On average how many steps do you take a day?

• Less than 200

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • 200 - 500

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • 500 - 1,000

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • 1,000 - 2,000

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • 2,000 - 3,000

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • 3,000 - 5,000

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • 5,000 - 10,000

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • More than 10,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • I am completely bedridden

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters

TigerLilea

I average approximately 5,000 steps per day. I actually wear a pedometer every day from the moment I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night. This is how I can keep track of how I am doing from month-to-month, and year-to-year.

I'm editing to add that some days I only can do maybe 2,500 steps. It all depends on how bad the PEM is that day.

Last edited:

dannybex

Two years ago things got so bad I needed a walker 90% of the day just to move around my apartment without falling or tripping. I live in a huge complex -- the mailroom alone is approximately 400 'steps' away, round trip -- and I do that 2 or 3 times a week. I'm pretty much housebound (or apt. bound) but am hoping I can get some help soon via family/friends. If so I'm confident I can get back to 3,000-5,000 in a couple years, despite being sick for-ever.

Keela Too

Sally Burch
I am pleased to say my monthly step average is now just above 3000. However for a 3 year period it was hovering around 500 steps a day - which was basically the minimum possible in our house without making new arrangements for getting to the bathroom. The improvement was brought about by taking an arv for a year and has been sustained since I stopped the drug. Such freedom those extra steps offer - although it is a far cry from where I would have been prior to ME.

Good poll

trishrhymes

I use a Fitbit and it registers an average around 1000 'steps' a day at present. However this is misleading when comparing with a healthy person because those steps are small slow shuffles from room to room, not normal healthy person steps.

And it also includes a considerable proportion that are not steps at all because it's a wrist monitor worn on my non dominant wrist. I'm currently trying to gauge how many things like lying in bed typing 2 handed on my computer are being counted, or when I sit on a stool washing a few dishes, again a 2 handed activity.

I have an old cheap pedometer. Maybe I'll try clipping it on my sock for a few days to see how it compares.

Jessie 107

Before. My. E. My average daily steps were between 10,000 and 13,000. I absolutely loved walking.
Now, if I am having a bad day it's about 500.
A good day would be roughly 1500 to 2000.
I use Googlefit App on my phone as my wrist monitor is not very accurate.

Lolo

Yeah I found driving and changing gears upped my steps. So I figure if I am washing up or on the computer, (the mouse and fitbit watch are on the same side) it is going to screw the numbers so stopped wearing it. To much of a hassle taking it on and off.

trishrhymes

Despite the confounding factor of wrist movements being included, I still find mine helpful because I assume the proportion of non steps to steps being recorded will be similar from day to day, so it still tells me whether I'm doing more or less overall activity from day to day.

It's also a heart rate monitor, which I'm finding enlightening.

Apple

Bad day = 500 steps. If I didn't have to pee 20x a day, it would probably be a lot less.
On a very good day recently I hit 1800!
I would say average is probably around 1000.

I keep forgetting to wear my fitbit as it goes on my bra and I often don't wear one:whistle:. I must make the effort though as it's a great way of measuring/monitoring how things are going.

arewenearlythereyet

As a second reference, the American heart association and others recommend at least 10.000 steps daily to prevent diseases (what would be about 5 miles). That's also the default setting on fitbits. :rolleyes:
I like that on Fitbit you can have friends and league tables ranked by number of steps ....luckily for me my sister in law has CFS too so we compete to make sure we don't fall off into the inactive list.