• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POLL: How far were you living from a mobile phone base station mast when your ME/CFS first appeared?

How far were you living from a base station mast when your ME/CFS first appeared?

• Total voters

Neunistiva

@Hip Try to imagine a poll that asked a questions of people with ME/CFS: How far do you live from the center of the Earth? A) Less than 7,000km B) More than 7,000km

You would have 100% of people with ME/CFS choose A). What would be your conclusion from that?

Neunistiva

@Neunistiva, did you read the methodology detailed in this post?

Yes. And it's nonsense. Areas of base stations overlap and population is absolutely not uniformely distributed.

How can you assume that population density in sparsely populated Croatia is the same as for someone living in a world metropolis such as London or New York?

Forget about different countries, population density is not uniform within cities either. Just look at London
map1popden2012bylsoa_tcm77-331321.png

Hip

How can you assume that population density in sparsely populated Croatia is the same as for someone living in a world metropolis such as London or New York?

I am not. Clearly you did not read or understand the methodology. Have another look.

Hip

Forget about different countries, population density is not uniform within cities either. Just look at London

Again, you did not understand the methodology. I am not assuming a uniform population density in a city. Rather I am assuming that there will be uniform population density in each 500 meter radius circle surrounding a base station, on average.

Neunistiva

I am not. Clearly you did not read or understand the methodology. Have another look.

Imagine this base station is located in some urban or suburban area, which on average will tend to have a more or less uniform population density within each particular 500 meter radius circle surrounding each base station.

One skyscraper is enough to make this not true. Population density is not uniform. No matter how small you go. Not even apartments in the same building have same number of occupants.

Maybe you need to take a step back and calmly rethink this later. I know you set up this poll with good intentions of getting valuable information for us all, and having many people shoot down a well-intentioned idea is not a nice feeling.

But it all boils down to this: you simply can't avoid needing information on distance from base stations for general population, and then large enough sample size of people with ME/CFS, not to mention randomized one. Otherwise, you run into danger of not only collecting meaningless data but actually drawing completely incorrect conclusions.

Hip

you simply can't avoid needing information on distance from base stations for general population, and then large enough sample size of people with ME/CFS, not to mention randomized one.

I agree with your second and third points, but not with your first. The methodology I worked out allows you to detect any effects that base station radiation might have on the risk of developing ME/CFS (or any other disease you want to look at), without knowing information on distance from base stations for the general population. If you take a few moments to understand methodology I am using, you will see why (it's also detailed briefly in this post).

Of course, if after understanding the methodology you see a flaw in it, I am all ears, and I'd like to hear your points and criticisms. But at least take the time to understand it before you criticize.

Sean

There are indeed lots of different sources of electromagnetic radiation that we are increasingly exposed to, but each particular type and source of electromagnetic radiation may have its own unique ill-health effects, so it may be possible to disentangle the effects of one EM source from the effects of another.

This similar to our exposure to toxic environmental chemicals: we are all exposed to multiple such toxic chemicals, yet it is still possible to conduct studies that focus in on the ill health effects of environmental exposure to a specific chemical.

The ill health effects potentially arising from the relatively low level (but constant 24 hour) exposure to microwaves from mobile phone base station masts / towers may be quite different and distinct to the ill health effects potentially arising from the much higher level (but short duration) exposure to microwaves from mobile phones held next to your head.

I don't think video cassette recorders emit any appreciable electromagnetic radiation, by the way, at least as far as I am aware.
Not disputing that at least some of these possible factors can be tested for. But the sort of survey you are proposing does not have the statistical power and methodological rigour to reliably identify any of them. It won't tell you anything useful, and may even mislead you.

arewenearlythereyet

In effect that response is already included in the questionnaire: it is the "500 meters or further from the nearest base station" response.

No that's not my point. When a questionnaire has missing questions ( e.g I got CFS before mobile phones were invented or I got CFS while in a log cabin in the wilderness) the respondent will do 2 things A. Get pissed off and not complete the poll or B. answer incorrectly to try and be helpful/ please the questioner. Both of these responses give you false data since being 500m away or further from the mast is definitely not the same as never being near one at all. How do you know that 500m is the cut off point? It is also best practice to include a catch all question at the end like "other answer" to increase responses and keep balance to your study. If your other answer is very high it indicates that there is a missing question and suggests a retest with a different questionnaire.

The current questionnaire design could give false positives in that you will think that being 500 or further from a mast is significant when it's not and/or you will ellimnate all those people that got CFS before telephones existed effectively concentrating the significance of your other results.

You'll have to explain a bit more about what you have in mind when you say using control group, because I can't really see how you would do this in an epidemiological study. In a medical study of a disease treatment, a control group is given a placebo, and then compared to the other group given the actual treatment. But how would you set up a control study where all the base stations were "placebos", and did not emit any electromagnetic radiation?

As you can see finding a control is problematic. In this case you need to have a group that didn't get CFS/ me and ask them how far they live away from masts. Just because it's difficult doesn't mean you don't need a control, rather you might reject the methodology as being non substantiative and cancel the research on that basis. Controls eliminate some of the many variables. And there are a lot that will interfere with this study. As has been pointed out by others.

Another way to ellimnate the effect of other variables (e.g living near a main road with exposure to exhaust fumes, the effect of population densities on stress levels, poverty level affecting nutrition etc etc) of this sort is to brainstorm them and then capture the information in the questionnaire screening questions and use the information in a complex data analysis at the end, effectively cutting the variables out.

For this to work you would A need to have a handle on the other variables and how important they are to each other in terms of influence over CFS (nobody does) and B have a massive population of respondents to draw upon (which is why I said earlier you need a large sample size). In this instance it would be a substantive number more than you are likely to achieve on PR.
You could refer to a reference in analysis/interpretation. For this to work you would need to understand your population in your test in relation to the reference population. Again by not asking screening questions (which is impossible with polls of this sort) you just will not have enough information to do this.

I'm not deliberately trying to pull holes in something you've spent a lot of time doing, just trying to explain where I'm coming from. My fear with polls of this sort is that there is very rarely any interpretation at the end so they can mislead people particularly as most of the ones I have seen have: leading headers, imbalanced question design and lack of consideration to the wording used in questions to ellimnate bias. The context of polls also tend to ride on a wave of discussion which then biases future respondents. They are a bit of fun, but highly unscientific. You are banging your head against a brick wall trying to make them so imo.

wdb

As @Neunistiva noted population can not be assumed to be uniformly distributed, in addition masts are not uniformly or randomly sited, the goal of a mast is to serve the maximum number of consumers so they are deliberately sited where population density is highest, that alone gives everyone a higher probability of living near a mast.

Lets be serious, to get meaningful results we are going to need a random selection of PWME who meet a reliable criteria, we'll need a matched control group who are similarly geographically distributed, we need all cell mast measurements made by a blinded third party and we'll need several hundred participants to get to statistical significance.

Hip

But the sort of survey you are proposing does not have the statistical power and methodological rigour to reliably identify any of them.

Sure, this is just a forum poll. It cannot in any way be compared to a properly conducted scientific study. At best it might give you an inkling of some trends; at worst, as you say, it might mislead you. But that's true of all polls on this forum.

One skyscraper is enough to make this not true. Population density is not uniform. No matter how small you go. Not even apartments in the same building have same number of occupants.

We are conceptually dealing with average population densities over many base stations, so one skyscraper near one particular base station makes no difference at all to that average. That's the first thing that needs to be appreciated, in order to understand the method I am using.

I don't know if a slightly more mathematical description might help explain my method, but here goes:

The number of people P living in any annulus located at distance x from a base station is equal to:

P = D π (x + w)^2 – D π x^2

Where:
x = radius of the inner circle of the annulus (and x = distance from the base station at the center of the circle)
w = width of the annulus (= radius of outer circle of the annulus – radius of inner circle of the annulus)
D = local population density in the immediate area of base station (eg, number of people per meter squared)

Annulus2.jpg

Blue annulus (ring) at distance x
from a base station at point O

That equation for P just represents the area of a large circle of radius x + w, minus the area of a smaller circle of radius x, which is how you calculate the area of an annulus. Then we multiply the area of the annulus by D, the local population density, in order to work out how many people live inside the annulus.

Now I agree that normally, you would need to know the local population density D before you can proceed. However, because what I am doing is in effect taking the ratio of two annuli adjacent to each other, when you calculate this ratio, in your equation, the D cancels out, so you don't need to know D. You can get your answer without knowing the local population density D (provided the local population density is on average uniform over a 500m radius from the base station).

So what I am doing is taking the ME/CFS incidence in the inner white 300m radius circle (white circle in above diagram) annulus, and dividing by the incidence in the 300m to 500m annulus (blue annulus in the diagram).

That's the beauty of this method: you can get an answer without knowing the local population density, if you assume that on average, when averaged over many base stations, the local population density is uniform within 500 meters of the base station.

being 500m away or further from the mast is definitely not the same as never being near one at all.

OK, I'll take your word for that. I tend to think quite mathematically, and so for me, the first option definitely incorporates the second. But you are saying that we also have to cater for people who do not think so logically. Fair enough.

Another way to ellimnate the effect of other variables (e.g living near a main road with exposure to exhaust fumes, the effect of population densities on stress levels, poverty level affecting nutrition etc etc) of this sort is to brainstorm them and then capture the information in the questionnaire screening questions and use the information in a complex data analysis at the end, effectively cutting the variables out.

I agree that such confounding factors as vehicle exhaust fumes could potentially effect the results. Since there is some tendency to locate base stations in town centers, or on busy high streets, it's conceivable that closer proximity to a base station might also mean that you tend to live in an area of higher vehicle exhaust pollution. So this could potentially be a confounding factor.

Apologies for the clumsy read above....I still haven't worked out multiquote

Just select the text you want to quote, and click on the pop-up "reply" button that appears next to it, and that will insert the text as a quote within the edit area.

As you can see finding a control is problematic. In this case you need to have a group that didn't get CFS/ me and ask them how far they live away from masts. Just because it's difficult doesn't mean you don't need a control, rather you might reject the methodology as being non substantiative and cancel the research on that basis. Controls eliminate some of the many variables.

I think what you are suggesting is that we need to find the average population distribution around base stations, by examining millions of base stations, and calculating the average distribution. I agree, that would be the more rigorous approach.

My key assumption in this poll is that on average, this distribution is even and uniform within a 500m radius circle of a base station. That is to say, on average, the population is not for example more concentrated towards the peripheries of the 500m radius circle, nor more concentrated towards the center of this circle. I think this assumption is likely more or less correct, but there could be some unevenness in distribution, which is why I agree that a more accurate approach would be to first determine the average population distribution around millions of base stations.

in addition masts are not uniformly or randomly sited, the goal of a mast is to serve the maximum number of consumers so they are deliberately sited where population density is highest, that alone gives everyone a higher probability of living near a mast.

If you are talking about distances of a few kilometers radius from the base station, then I agree that in especially countryside locations and around small villages, there will tend to be more population density in the center of that several kilometer radius circle. But when we are dealing with a 500m radius, I don't think this concern applies.

If you actually have look at some random base stations on the UK map, both in suburban areas and out in the countryside near small towns or residential areas, it becomes apparent that there is no obvious scheme for where these base stations are located. Some are located away from residential areas, others are located within residential areas.

But yes, in order to conduct a proper study, you would first need to work out the average population distribution in the 500m radius around base stations, by examining millions of base stations to work out your average. This actually could be done automatically with a bit of software, that takes its data from a base station map.

Lets be serious, to get meaningful results we are going to need a random selection of PWME who meet a reliable criteria, we'll need a matched control group who are similarly geographically distributed, we need all cell mast measurements made by a blinded third party and we'll need several hundred participants to get to statistical significance.

Of course. That's what a proper study would entail. Although if I were doing a proper study, I would not use this method at all; this method is just a rough and ready approach for use in this rough and ready poll.

If I were conducting a study, I'd use newly diagnosed ME/CFS patients, and I'd arrange to go to their home and precisely measure, using electronic measuring equipment, the ambient levels of mobile phone base station radiation within their home, and within their bedroom, and even at their workplace, as well as ambient levels of other electromagnetic fields, such as WiFi radiation, cordless phone radiation, and so forth. That would be a much more rigorous approach.

Surprisingly enough, although mobile phones have been with us since the late 1980s, no research has yet examined the possible links between mobile phone base station radiation, and the incidence of chronic diseases (except for the disease of cancer). This is according to the WHO.

So if mobile phone base station proximity were a risk factor in the triggering of ME/CFS, or in the triggering of autoimmune diseases, we would not know about it, because there have been no studies. We don't know whether or not mobile phone base station radiation, or other wireless device electromagnetic radiation, is a risk factor for triggering ME/CFS or triggering other chronic diseases or autoimmunity.

Last edited:

HowToEscape?

I see a ton of confounders in this poll. To start:

1. Strength of the field != (obvious function of distance from antenna).
I lived >underneath< (under a wood deck roof, not metal) a Verizon cell site and had nearly unusable signal strength using a then-expensive 3G card. Why? The antennas are aimed outwards and just a bit down, not straight down. They were well focused antennas which leaked so little signal downwards that I had trouble connecting, and this was perhaps 15 meters from the antenna. So when one is near the typical cell antenna you're getting a weak portion of it, while further away (when the aiming spot intersects the ground) the loss over distance is partly offset by being more in the antenna's focus. Engineers, clever bunch.

2. Distance from tower is connected to many other variables. Towers are placed on industrial, then commercial structures, thus in noisier areas, which also contain more renters, fewer owners, more road traffic, more dust etc etc.

3. Killer problem: The survey is anti-random. if I think that finally, someone somewhere understand the terrible thing that happened to me I'm going to respond. Otherwise, I'm going to ignore it. The missing poll answer is "I don't know where the nearest cell tower is, don't care and don't believe in the whole biz.", and there's no point in asking it because those people don't answer the poll.

4,5,6 ... i think anyone practicing science will find more.

Imagine an opt-in poll asking
"How much loss did your Volkswagen cause you when it burst into flames because of an electrical defect which was denied by the company?"​
Such a poll is not going result in any useful information about the car fires involving Volkswagens, because the people responding are not a representative sample of all owners. They're not even representative of all owners whose car has burned, only those who believe it burned due to an electrical defect. Even if the poll includes a choice "$0 damages, my car hasn't burned or incinerated me in a deadly blaze, yet" just slightly over zero percent of people contentedly zipping about in their GTI are going to spend 2.5 nanoseconds to answer that poll.

I think this poll had the best of intentions, but maybe not the best of results.

Hip

@HowToEscape?, thanks for the points you made, but most have already been addressed in the discussion so far in this thread, so you might want to read the thread to see the answers.

Your point 1 is interesting, but would not really affect the results much, because people living directly under a base station are in a very small minority.

Point 2: other variables may potentially be confounding factors, but in fact base stations are located in all sorts of random areas, not just in industrial or commercial areas, you only have to look at a base station map to see that.

Point 3 I doubt applies. But I agree, voter self selection is not the best way to run a survey.

The major problem I see with this poll is the lack of responders, so there is currently not enough statistical significance to the results.

Hip

With the latest votes just in, the results now show a 4-fold increased risk of triggering ME/CFS for those living within 300 meters of a base station, compared to the risk for those living in the 300 meter to 500 meter zone.

Obviously there are several flaws with this rough and ready poll, as have been previously detailed in this thread, but I am nevertheless surprised by these results. I really was expecting that there would be no increased risk.

Now likely this apparent 4-fold increased risk is not real, and is just an artifact of the weak methodology that is inherent in any forum poll. However, these results have piqued my interest, and I am wondering if it would be possible to set up a more robust survey with better methodology, to investigate this further.

Thus for anyone on this thread who has provided criticism of the method, if you can offer any positive ideas about how to improve the method, then please post.

Voter self selection is the probably the biggest problem in the poll, so a better poll would use a method of ME/CFS patient random pre-selection. So an easy method for doing that would be needed.

Note that I think the issue of electromagnetic fields playing a possible role in triggering disease is a different issue to that of electrosensitivity (electromagnetic hypersensitivity). A healthy individual may have no electrosensitivity at all, but nevertheless, it is conceivable that electromagnetic field exposure might play a role in triggering disease in that individual.

When people discuss their electrosensitivity (electromagnetic hypersensitivity) symptoms on these forums, I generally take a skeptical stance (though remain open minded). But disease triggering is not the same concept as electrosensitivity.

Hip

No, it doesn't.

Yes they do. I calculated the increased risk using the null hypothesis condition:

(Number of people at less than 500 meters) X 0.56 = (Number of people at less than 300 meters) + (Number of people at less than 150 meters)

You can put the figures in yourself to check this.

Now, as I already mentioned (did you actually read my post?), this apparent 4-fold increased risk is most likely not real, and is just an artifact of the methodological flaws. However, it's undeniable that the results currently show a 4-fold risk. Unless you are in denial about the rules of arithmetic.

arewenearlythereyet

Yes they do. I calculated the increased risk using the null hypothesis condition:

(Number of people at less than 500 meters) X 0.56 = (Number of people at less than 300 meters) + (Number of people at less than 150 meters)

You can put the figures in yourself to check this.

Now, as I already mentioned (did you actually read my post?), this apparent 4-fold increased risk is most likely not real, and is just an artifact of the methodological flaws. However, it's undeniable that the results currently show a 4-fold risk. Unless you are in denial about the rules of arithmetic.
What use is mathematics without realism? The poll has no validity due to the method as we have all discussed. so what's the point in reporting the result? It just misleads?

Hip

OK, I have addressed one of the methodological concerns expressed about this poll, that there is no control group. I have been able to create a proper control group by using a random UK postcode generator.

To do this, I created 70 random postcodes that represent 70 random street addresses in the UK, and then I entered these 70 random addresses into a UK base station map, and noted the distance to the nearest base station for each of these addresses. This then gave me a good random sample of 70 home-to-base station distances, and these 70 addresses form my control group.

Using this control group, I was then able to work out what you would expect the poll results to be if such a control group voted. For this control group, the votes will satisfy the following equation:

(Number of people at less than 500 meters) X 1.33 = (Number of people at less than 300 meters) + (Number of people at less than 150 meters)

So this is quite a difference to my previous equation in the post above, in which the multiplying factor was 0.56; now we see that the multiplying factor has become 1.33. The original equation worked purely on an area-based calculation, but this new equation is based on a control group.

Thus the point made by @wdb that masts may not be uniformly or randomly sited appears correct. Using my control group, this non-uniformity in mast distribution became apparent. But now the new equation based on the control group takes into account this non-uniformity.

Using this new equation, which is based on my control group, I can now calculate that the results of this poll currently show that you have 1.75 times the risk of developing ME/CFS if you live within 300 meters of a base station, compared to the risk for those living in the 300 meter to 500 meter zone.

Of course, although I have sorted out the control group issue, this poll is still dogged by the methodological problems of self selecting voters, and so far having too few votes (so not enough statistical significance).

EDIT: the multiplying factor 1.33 is incorrect (I made a calculation mistake): it should actually be 1.2, which then means the risk factor will work out as 1.94, not 1.75.

70 RANDOM UK ADDRESSES — DISTANCES FROM NEAREST BASE STATION

UK Postcode Map:
http://free-postcode-maps.co.uk

UK Base Station Map:
http://www.mastdata.com/37/37_Homepage.aspx

UK Random Postcode Generator:
https://www.doogal.co.uk/PostcodeGenerator.php

Alphabetical sort:
http://alphabetizer.flap.tv

Note: 82% of UK populating lives in cities (see: http://www.geohive.com/earth/pop_urban.aspx), so we want to have around 20% of our addresses in rural areas, and 80% of addresses in city areas.

DISTANCES (IN KILOMETERS) FROM THE NEAREST BASE STATION FOR 70 RANDOM ADDRESSES IN THE UK:

NW — Northwest London

UX — Uxbridge London

B — Birmingham

EH — Edinburgh

HP — Hemel Hempstead (quite rural) ====

OX - Oxfordshire (quite rural)

SY — Shrewsbury (rural)

DISTANCES (IN KILOMETERS) FROM NEAREST BASE STATION: ORDERED BY SIZE:

Less that 150 meters from nearest base station (11 addresses)

150 meters to <300 meters from nearest base station (13 addresses)

300 meters to <500 meters from nearest base station (20 addresses)

500 meters or further from from nearest base station (26 addresses)

SUMMARY:

Number of addresses at 500m or further from nearest base station = 26
Number of addresses 300m to <500m from nearest base station = 20
Number of addresses 150m to <300m from nearest base station = 13
Number of addresses 0m to <150m from nearest base station = 11

EXPECTED RATIO:

Ratio of: (Number of 0m to <300m addresses) / (Number of 300m to <500m addresses) = (11 + 13) / 20 = 1.2

So 1.2 is our standard expected ratio, based on the control group addresses. Thus if base station radiation poses zero risk for triggering ME/CFS, we would expect the incidence of ME/CFS determined by this poll to fall into roughly the same ratio. However, if the ratio from the poll results turns out to be higher, this indicates base station radiation is a risk for ME/CFS.

RISK EQUATION:

The equation to calculate the increased risk of triggering ME/CFS for those living within 300 meters of a base station, compared to the risk for those living in the 300 meter to <500 meter zone, is the following:

Increased risk = (ME incidence in the 0m to <300m zone) / (1.2 X (ME incidence in the 300m to <500m zone))

Last edited: