• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

poetry is a healer, ME author John Andrew Denny-through corridors of light

allyb

Through corridors of light, The author: John Andrew Denny
I pondered where to post this,

I rationalised that the release of this book is “NEWS” indeed good ME news....

It sooths consoles and gives a voice to our suffering (alternative therapy thread)
· All the royalties are going to ME/CFS research. (Research news thread)
· Also it would be at home amongst my lovely -limerick-ing-lot thread....because the author explains....
“When compiling Through Corridors of Light I was disappointed not to come across many genuinely funny poems about being ill that were well-constructed enough to include in the book....”
He can’t have seen our verses!.....
However,he has a website that accompanies the book; “The support the therapeutic use of poetry in relation to illness.” It is well worth a visit, it facilities the sharing of poems that have inspired and comforted.
http://www.poemsofconsolation.net/

The author, John Andrew Denny suffered ME for 20yrs. He writes with profound understanding of what it is like to have ME/CFS; detailing the isolation of being trapped behind the bars of the illness. He addresses this by compiling wonderful anthology of poetry that has inspired and comforted others throughout illness. He chronicles the history of the use of verse from ancient to modern times and looks at the science behind the therapeutic and healing benefits in reading and also the art of writing poetry.

He says...
poetry can have an effect of slowing the reader’s mind down to its alpha brainwave state of highest creativity, which it shares with dreaming. It also parallels hypnosis (and meditation) in the way it stimulates the body’s production of endorphins- technically, opioid neuropeptides, which resemble opiates in their analgesic and euphoric effects.”

Whilst I realise poetry won’t be everyone’s cup of tea,
For me, I’d choose it any day over CBT ;)

I felt this book that should be shared, for many reasons
There are some wonderful reviews on UK Amazon, I’ve posted the link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0745955479/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Kind regards,
allyb

Enid

Thanks for the introduction allyb, and all royalties to ME research too - a definite buy.