• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please tell me your famvir/famciclovir story

I just got diagnosed with reactivated EBV. My first 250 mg famvir dose caused insomnia. I'm supposed to take it 2X per day. I'm wondering about side affects and successes with this drug. Thanks!

Hugocfs

No side effects here. Or help with virus titers. Currently taking 250mg 3X/day generic. Wondering why I am even taking it and the inosine. Will have to contact my cfs doctor soon to ask for a change in course of treatment since this one isn't doing anything.

Ruthie24

I'm taking 8,000mg famvir (generic) daily, but have only been on it a little over 3 weeks.

Initially I started with 500mg 4x/day. It caused migraines, nausea, body aches, and increased joint pain. After about 4-5 days, it calmed down. I gave myself a couple days and then increased to 1,000 mg 4x/day. Same thing happened with the side effects. And, again they went away after about 3-4 days. When I increased to 1500 mg 4x/day, I didn't have the reaction, nor did I when I went up to the 2,000 mg 4x/day. It has caused some GI distress but is tolerable as long as I eat with it.

Not sure if it's just the natural course of the disease, or if it was the IV saline that I started around the same time I started the Famvir, but I have been more functional the past couple weeks than I've been in the past 3 months when I was in a major relapse.

aquariusgirl

don't want to hijack this thread... but I thought I read that dr dantini & dr rey were using high dosages of famvir in lieu of valcyte...

I read that dantini is using 800mg x4 of acyclovir a day...Is that right? Anyone know what dr rey is using? I read dr klimas is using 800mg x2 a day.. but that could just be patient specific.

Thanks