• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please help with my 23 and me results (genetic genie and sterling)

musicchick581

Hi all. I'm new here and don't have CFS but found that you are so knowledgable about SNP's. I'm compound heterozygous (677&1298). I ran my 23 and me data into Genetic Genie and Sterling's app and only GG has a small amount of commentary about my SNPs. Sterling's has none and SNPedia is confusing the heck out of me.

I'm posting results and I'm hoping you guys can view it and someone can help me to understand it. My primary symptoms are severe anxiety, panic attacks, low tolerance to stress, mood swings, cystic acne which improved when I cut out food sensitivities, low homocysteine, normal serum B12 and folate, reflux and LPR symptoms, cricopharyngeal spasms in my throat, excessive mucous, indigestion and low mood (sadness for no reason).

I'm sensitive to dairy, casein, yeast, gluten, almonds, salmon, wheat and several other foods that I rarely eat. I have no known allergies. I've been on a diet of about 10 foods for 2 months now and they are low acid/low histamine, organic and whole foods, nothing processed and I cook my food myself. (Mostly green veggies).

Thank you in advance.

DETOX
(+/-)

CYP1B1R48G
CYP2C92C430T
CYP2E11B9896CG
SOD2A16V
NAT2l114T
NAT2R197Q
NAT2K268R
Sterling's interpreted (+/+) and GG interpreted (-,-) to the CYP1B1L432V gene, so I don't know if I have it or not.

METHYLATION
(+,+)

MAO A R297R
BHMT08

(+,-)
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
VDR BSM
VDR TAQ
ACAT 102
MTHFRC677T
MTHFR03P39P
MTHFRA1298C
MTRRA66G
CBSA360A (CBS699 was -/-)

Critterina

Hey, @musicchick581 ,

I'm willing to comment, but remember it's up to you to decide what to do. I hope lots of the other smart people here will chime in.

My first observation is that most of the symptoms you list have to do with neurotransmitters. Your MTHFR C677T means that you won't be making as much methylfolate as normal, and your MTHFR A1298C means that what little methylfolate you do have won't easily be converted back (the reverse reaction as C677T) to support your neurotransmitters. Supplementing with methylfolate may make a big difference for you.

Second, you say your homocysteine is low. How can that be? I ask myself. Homocysteine gets used up one of three ways - (1) back to methionine by BHMT08 (and that's not happening well with your +/+ mutation). (2) back to methionine via MTR/MTRR by using up methylfolate (and your MTRR +/- will be a bit slow, and you don't have a lot of methylfolate to use up, so that's not happening so much) and (3) converted using CBS, and you do have the CBS A360A, which is a decent acceleration, but I'm surprised that it would do that much accelerating given that you're +/-.

Is your homocysteine being used up so fast, or is it perhaps not being created in very high quantities? What I wonder is whether you are getting enough protein (meaning methionine specifically, here). I read in some usually reputable website that your methionine normally comes half from your diet, half from recycling homocysteine. If you don't have enough, it would explain your low homocysteine. And it's not just what you eat - you need to be absorbing it, which might be an issue for you.

The other proteins I'd wonder about are tryptophan and tyrosine, because those are the proteins that get used to become neurotransmitters. Without enough of those, even with more methylfolate, you might not be making the right amount of neurotransmitters to stabilize your mood, cut your anxiety, panic, etc.

So, overall, I wonder, do you get enough protein in your diet/absorb enough of what you eat? I don't know if you want to spring for a serum amino acid test - it's easier just to increase the protein in your diet.

What other supplements should you consider?

B12 (either methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin), because of the MTRR
Vitamin D3, because of the VDRs
TMG, because of the BHMT 08 (and secondarily because of the CBS, as we want more homocysteine to go back to methionine and less of it to be converted by CBS)

I know there are some things to supplement for your Detox genes, too, but I have only read what other people recommend; I don't understand it enough to do more than repeat what I've read, and who knows whether that's accurate or not? So best keep quiet.

I wish you best of health!

musicchick581

Thank you so much for your help. I'm not sure why my homocysteine is low except that for a few years I've been on NAC and the multivitamin Vitaprime (with cobalmin and methylfolate). There isn't much in there but there some. My homocysteine was at 6 at the last blood test. I'm also taking Lithium orotate 5 mg and D3 at 5000 IU a day. My D3 was actually a bit high at the last blood test. I stopped all the anxiety supplements a couple months ago because I want my doctor to get to the root (I guess we have now) and for my body to produce its own neurotransmitters. I'm guessing at my appointment on Monday he will mention going back on the Neuroreplete and other supplements I was taking. They weren't helping much in the last several years I was taking them. Maybe because I wasn't treating the MTHFR.

I eat quite a bit of protein daily.

zzz0r

@Critterina at another post it was commented that BHMT08 homo is actually reported backwards so it is the good version (meaning upregulation). Is that correct?

musicchick581

I actually saw that somewhere as well. If it's upregulation, it means seratonin is eaten up too quickly?

zzz0r

no serotonin has to do with MAO. MAO ++ is an upregulation so the need of serotonin is greater

Critterina

@Critterina at another post it was commented that BHMT08 homo is actually reported backwards so it is the good version (meaning upregulation). Is that correct?
Geez, I dunno. Good question!
Before I can research it, though, I have to know that what you're saying is that 23andMe reports it backwards, so that Sterling and Genetic Genie and Promethease - they would all say the same thing, that I have the risk allele. Is that right? (NutraHacker doesn't, but I don't know if they report on it.) Then it's time to go search out PubMed and try to make sense of the research. Also, before I can research it, I have to get my income taxes done, so I'm not likely to get to it soon...Do I have any volunteers?

caledonia

#1 I would work on your gut with the 4R Gut Rebuilding program (linked in my signature). Get stool testing so you know what bad bugs to go after, and what specific herbs will be effective against them. The food sensitivities are likely due to leaky gut, and most neurotransmitters are also made in the gut.

You have ACAT which is a First Priority mutation (need to take care of it first before moving onto MTHFR and the rest). ACAT is one of the "leaky gut" genes, so you may benefit from treating that along with the gut program. Treatment for that is bile salts. Having ACAT could predispose you to kidney stones.

The protein absorption problem could also be due to digestive issues (such as low stomach acid).

musicchick581

Thank you for your response. I don't think HCl will help me because I have too much acid, not too little, we believe. I'm still weaning off Nexium from last summer. I had some food poisoning last summer and it turned into a month and a half of vomiting. Nexium stopped the vomiting. It is LPR symptoms now but has been better on a low acid diet. I've been drinking aloe twice a day for a long time and that helps. DGL licorice did not help and licorice is on my food sensitivity list as a 1. (low level) I can't have dairy, gluten, yeast, wheat, grains, etc. and I've cut out all acidic foods, foods on my sensitivity panel test, and high histamine foods. I am beginning to add back some of those foods slowly like peas, okra, pears, but cut out almonds as they are on my sensitivity panel and I was inhaling almond butter like crazy because it was one of a few foods I could actually eat. Nothing from a box, organic only and I cook everything, mostly greens and pears and apples, chicken and coconut and fish. Now I find out coconut is high sulfite. I just don't even know what to eat anymore. Low histamine, acid, sulfite, food sensitivity....it's driving me crazy. I've been on like 10 foods since February, two months ago.
I've been on a probiotic since the summer too and off and on one for years. Doc said I have to take NAC because of MTHFR. And I'm on a multivitamin with methyls and a separate liquid methylb and methylfolate capsule. Was taking Manuka honey for immune system but honey is now on my sensitivity list. Doc said cut all sensitive foods for a month...then slowly introduce them again. I'm still on hardly any variety of foods because of the stomach acid issue/throat spasms.
Doc wants me to do the chelation IV EDTA urine test.
I don't have hpylori..I've had several tests for that since the summer and had stool parasite tests twice over the summer and they were both negative.

Last edited: