• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please Help: Overall supplement review, request for SHMT supplement suggestions

Hi,

This question is for my daughter's results. Her gut is messed up and we're trying to figure out what will best help her based on her methylation reports (see below for her results on both the Genetic Genie site and Sterling's report).

Valentinj suggested my daughter might consider taking VitD3, which she has now been taking for a month, or so. She said she thinks it does give her a bit more energy, so far, but she's not positive.

She's also taking DCI for PCOS, and has been taking this for about 6 months, which she thinks helps her moods stay a bit more level (but, again, she said she's not positive on this one, either).

What she feels is giving her more energy and a more positive emotional feeling is L-Tyrosine.

She's adding in Lithium Orotate, which in the past she felt helped her feel better. She also feels that Magnesium helps her muscles and joints feel better, so she's going to add that to her supplements, as well.

I'm going to pick up a new B12 for her, since the last one I bought wasn't Hydroxl.

It was suggested that she take Yucca, but I read that it's not good for women with estrogen/hormonal issues to take it. So, she hasn't taken any of that, yet.

Since her gut issue seems to be what bothers her most, and most likely contributes greatly to her very low energy levels, I'm trying to figure out what she can take to help with the SHMT +/+ mutation. All the Yasko SHMT supplements contain Bovine products and aren't vegetarian. My daughter won't take anything that's not vegetarian (she's okay with dairy and egg, but nothing else that isn't vegetarian).

Can someone see any flaws in this overall supplement protocol, listed above, or offer suggestions for helping her better based on her results (below)?

Do any of you have suggestions for SHMT supplements that are vegetarian? I really want to help her with her gut issues. I'm going to see about her getting a GI Effects Stool Test from Direct Labs, also, to see what additional kinds of issues she may have going on in her gut.

I appreciate all suggestions. She's 18 years old...far too young to be feeling so unwell.

Thanks!

Love,

Wendi

Genetic Genie Report:
+/+ VDR taq AA, SHMT1 C1420T AA,
+/- COMT V158M AG, COMT H62H CT, VDR Bsm CT, MAO A R297R GT, MTR A2756G AG, MTRR A66G AG, MTRR A664A AG

Sterling's MTHFRSupport Report:
+/+ BHMT R239Q/AA, DAO/CC, FUT2/GG, FUT2/AA, FUT2/AA, GAD1/CC, GAD1/CC, GAD1/TT, GAD1/TT, GAD1/GG, MTHFS/CC, NOS3/AA, SHMT1 C1420T/AA
+/- ADD1/GT, AGT/AG, BHMT/CT, BHMT/AG, CBS A13637G/CT, CBS C19150T/AG, CBS C699T/AG, COMT/AG, COMT H62H/CT, COMT V158M/AG, MAO A R297R/GT, MTHFD1 C105T/CT, MTHFD1 G1958A/AG, MTHFD1L/CT, MTHFD1L/AG, MTR A2756G/AG, MTRR A66g/AG, MTRR-11 A664A/AG, MTRR/CT, MTRR/CT, MTRR/AG, NOS2/GT, NOS2/AG, NOS3/AT, NOS3/AG, NOS3 G10T/GT, NOS3 T786C/CT, PEMT/GT, PEMT/AT, SHMT2/AG, SLC19A1/AG, TCN1/AG, TCN2 C766G/CG, TYMS/CT, VDR Bsm/CT

Even if no one has suggestions/comments for the supplement protocol we are trying to create for my daughter...

Does anyone know of vegetarian ways to help her with the SHMT issue?

Her gut problems seem to be the key puzzle piece to get fixed first.

Thanks!

XOXOXO