• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please help - off gassing new vynyl floor covering

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Well I guess I did the most stupid thing. I had a carpet in my bathroom - sooooo unhygienic. I decided a while ago I needed to put something else down. Ceramic tiles were a too expensive option. I ordered some vinyl last week, I never gave the possibility of a smell at all - why???? brain fog??? stupid??? Serious MCS sufferer.

So it was fitted yesterday, and of course the smell was overpowering - I put my air filter in and used the other b/room- the smell was just as bad this morning, so I took the air filter out and put the radiator on to full and put another heat lamp in as well and just shut the door.

My husband wants to open the bathroom door which leads into my bedroom and open all the windows (5 windows) - I think I read that its best to leave the doors shut and heat it up, any advice appreciated.
Its the middle of winter here so not a good time to have the windows open all day, but if that's what it takes I will do it. Cant believe I've been so stupid, I have to put a mask on to get my toiletries out of there, nightmare situation.

xchocoholic

rats. i lost my post twice. weak bleach water on vinyl and screens and open windows. like 1 tbsp to gal of water.

cat litter and charcoal absorb odors.

if the vinyl was glued down I'm not sure you want to get it warm. x

xchocoholic

ok that one made it. : )

I'm not sure if this will work on vinyl off gassing but just by dumb luck i found out it works on cigarette odor. i was spraying my screens with it when living above a smoker and thought i was killing mold. nope. bleach negates cig fumes.

hope this works.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@golden
thanks
@xchocoholic
thanks for that, I can't kneel at present as my knees are so bad, bleach is something I can't cope with at the moment, I do use it when I feel okayish though - I think my hubbie is going to take the covering up - just feels too stressful to cope with as I'm not feeling so well.and not being able to use the b/room near my bed is hard in the early am.
what a palaver............

brenda

I have actually got some sealant l bought from America for laminate flooring which is safe chemical free which should work if you want to buy it as l have two unopened bottles due to overestimate but in the meantime while you decide - GET IT UP AND INTO SOMEONE ELSES HOUSE TO OUTGAS!!! It is not available in this country and cost me £67

Last edited:

xchocoholic

I didn't realize you could take it up still. That's what I'd do too then.

On the bleach water mix, you can make it so mild you can't smell it. I made it too strong a few times and paid the price.
It took me awhile to get it right. I was thinking you'd use a spray bottle.

hope you feel better soon. x

Helen

@maryb
You are quite right. Put on all heaters and keep the door closed. Then let your husband change air now and then till the smell is gone.

Ema

I would heat it up and try to increase the humidity as well by turning on the shower intermittently.

@brenda is right about the sealer but you might not be up for the work of applying it.

:hug:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@maryb Back in 1985 I laid vinyl linoleum in a rental house as a replacement for old smelly carpet I couldn't live with. The vinyl was very toxic and stinky! I used 3 coats of AFM sealer on it in my attempt to seal in the odor, but that was only minimally helpful. I had to air that floor for about 4 or 5 months before it was safe to live with. In the mean time, I camped outside in my backyard. Even after 5 months I could still smell the vinyl odor, but at that point it was bearable and didn't make me sick.

I know now that they make safe linoleum, called MARMOLEUM, which I would have preferred to use if it had been available back in the 1980s. Check it out here: http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/...lection/Forbo-Marmoleum-Composition-Sheet-MCS

If it was me, I would rip out the linoleum and install the marmoleum. Health before convenience. If you have serious MCS, you don't want to risk the negative effects of breathing vinyl fumes for the next several months.

In the mean time, I would cover the entire linoleum floor with either vapor barrier foil (which is a construction supply) or sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil, taped in around the edges of the wall, to seal in the odor. Not aesthetically pleasing, or practical for the long term, but at least you will be able to safely use your bathroom until you can get the floor ripped out and redone.

Last edited:

Ema

Marmoleum is a brand name for the traditional linseed linoleum that has been around since the 1800s. It's extremely durable and non-toxic and a great alternative to sheet vinyl. It was commonly used in schools where it lasted upwards of 50 years under the highest possible use conditions. It comes as sheets or in tiles and the patterning possibilities are virtually endless. It's a great non-toxic choice but the price also reflects the higher quality.

caledonia

You can either use the rapid offgas method, use AFM sealer, or rip it out and replace it with a safer material.

The rapid offgas method is to seal up the bathroom and find a safe way to get the bathroom hot. Do this during the daytime, then at night, open the windows and let the bathroom cool and air out. Repeat for as long as it takes to get it offgassed enough that it doesn't bother you.

It could take anywhere from a week to a month or more. I'm thinking it will be on the long end of the spectrum.

xrunner

Aluminium foil works pretty well for most surfaces but I'm not sure on floors.
I remember Wickes used to have pretty good value for money tiles in case you decided to replace the floor.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Ema @brenda @Dreambirdie @xrunner @Helen @caledonia

thank you all so much for replying, I really appreciate it and I will look out for the old type linoleum or mareolum after xmas, I will think about it this time more carefully......lesson learnt.

I was in such a panic this morning - I'd used the shower in the other bathroom and got cold as its not as warm as mine, my back started really hurting and I was running in and out of the smelly b/throom for toiletries and stuff I kept forgetting, having to wear a mask and I just thought 'I can't actually do this'
so hubby has taken it up and put it in the garage............ I now have chipboard planks with bath rugs over and my air filter on full, so hopefully I may be able to use it later on.

many thanks again everyone.

I would try an ozone generator. The down side is their cost. Mine was only $200 about 5 years ago, which was cheaper than others, may be cheaper now. They may be able to be rented. You may need it for only 1-2 days.