• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Plain niacin vs. NAD (activated form?

Athene

ihateticks.me
Has anyone experimented with normal niacin and the activated form NAD?
Anyone know the pros adn cons of either form of supplement?

Any experience/comments on supplementing with vitamin B3 much appreciated!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Has anyone experimented with normal niacin and the activated form NAD?
Anyone know the pros adn cons of either form of supplement?

Any experience/comments on supplementing with vitamin B3 much appreciated!

I recently took an ordinary niacin capsule (not realizing it was the type that makes you flush) and had an astounding reaction. I turned beet red all over and had very unpleasant sensations. I won't take that kind again, even though it might be more effective. Maybe I am more sensitive to it? But it was an "over-the-top" reaction.

Sushi

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi Sushi,
What dosage did you take? I have read that you can avoid flushing if you build up the dosage slowly, but it didn't say what dose to start on.

alice1

Being as sensitive as we are I suggest you start at 10mg.It comes in 50 and upwards.If you still feel a flush that's too uncomfortable lower it to 5mg..
If you continue to take it you should get activated charcoal and take this maybe 2 hours after the niacin.Charcoal will take out any toxin in your intestine..including any vitamins or meds you may be taking.Make sure to take it a few hours after all your pills.
Clinics that deal with addiction use it to eliminate drugs or alcohol in the intestine and find it a great tool.
Good Luck!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Sushi,
What dosage did you take? I have read that you can avoid flushing if you build up the dosage slowly, but it didn't say what dose to start on.

I didn't build up the dose slowly and also didn't realize I wasn't taking niacinamide--just popped a dose from a standard bottle. I obviously took too much! I buried that bottle deeply and am now taking niacinamide so I won't make that mistake again!

Sushi

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi folks,
Thanks for all the tips!
I've found Jarrow "non flushing" niacinamide on the Internet, that sounds like the safest option.
All the best,
Athene

SaraM

Athene,
I had niacin deficiency, and niacinamide helped a bit at first. Then I tried Nadh for a month with no positive or negative effect. Based on my experience, I think I made a great mistake for not trying so many supplements when I was diagnosed with CFS and FM three years ago after suffering from this horrible condition for 20 years.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi SaraM
I think you're right about supplements. I also had this condition 25 years before getting very proactive about takig suplements and boldly experimenting upon myelf. Since the doctors were clueless I decided I was best being my own doctor. I am a bit supplement crazy to be honest, but I have got rid of so many troublesome symptoms this way.