• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pitfalls in cytokine measurements - Plasma TGF-β1 in chronic fatigue syndrome.

Murph

:)
Neth J Med. 2018 Sep;76(7):310-313.
Pitfalls in cytokine measurements - Plasma TGF-β1 in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Roerink ME1, van der Schaaf ME, Hawinkels LJAC, Raijmakers RPH, Knoop H, Joosten LAB, van der Meer JWM.
Author information
Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Serum TGF-β1 concentrations are reported to be elevated in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). However, measurement of circulating cytokines is a complex procedure and control of pre-analytical procedures is essential. The objective of the current study was to measure circulating TGF-β1 concentrations in CFS patients compared to healthy controls, taking into account differences in pre-analytical procedures.

METHODS:
Two cohorts of female CFS patients were included. In both studies patients were asked to bring a healthy, age-matched control. At baseline, TGF-β1 levels were measured in plasma and additionally P-selectin, a marker of platelet activity, was determined in a subgroup of participants.

RESULTS:
50 patients and 48 controls were included in cohort I, and 90 patients and 29 controls in cohort II. Within the cohorts there were no differences in TGF-β1 concentrations. However, between the cohorts there was a large discrepancy, which appeared to be caused by differences in g-force of the centrifuges used. The lower g-force used in cohort II (1361 g) caused more platelet activation, reflected by higher p-selectin concentrations, compared to cohort I (p < 0.0001), which was confirmed in a second independent experiment. There was a correlation between TGF-β1 and p-selectin concentrations (r 0.79, p < 0.0001).

CONCLUSION:
These results demonstrate that control of pre-analytical procedures is an essential aspect when measuring circulating cytokines. No evidence for enhanced TGF-β1 in patients with CFS was found.

Thinktank

Dr. de Meirleir usually tests several different cytokines in his patients, wondering how much of that is actually inaccurate.

used_to_race

I have been looking into cytokine levels as measured in autoimmune diseases for a little while now. It appears to me that even in well-established diseases like RA, Lupus, IBD, etc, serum cytokine measurements are not always a reliable indicator of disease activity. In fact, having elevated TNF-alpha in IBD, for example, is considered to be somewhat predictive of treatment failure with anti-TNF drugs. I don't know whether this means that the cytokine activity is somehow localized, or perhaps every immune system has a different "set point" that makes it tricky to compare cytokines in isolation anyway.