• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PIP Assessment-am so nervous

Ellie_Finesse

Today is the day of my PIP assessment, I am so nervous! I have heard so many stories of people's experiences, and not good ones.

I am assuming they just talk to to you to see if either you have more information and/or if what you said on your forms is correct?

I know I have to stop fretting over it but at this moment in time can't help it :p

Best of luck @Ellie_Finesse There isn't anything in the world that will stop you fretting right now. Just think in a few hours it will all be over, and a nice cozy bed will be waiting for you to snuggle into.

Don't let them intimidate you. I find it easier to switch off my emotions and just robotically answer the questions.

Robot to robot coz thats all they are :whistle:

Will be thinking of you :hug:

trishrhymes

I've only just seen this, so it's probably too late to wish you luck, but I can at least say I hope it was not too stressful and awful.

I had mine last week. I spent the next couple of days worrying about things I'd said that might be misconstrued, but I've decided now to just try to forget about it. I have a fatalistic attitude that everyone else seems to have to go to appeal, so what I said probably won't have made any difference. All we can do now is wait and hope.

Best wishes. Get some rest and give yourself a treat - my treat is watching a very silly TV program that makes me laugh.

Ellie_Finesse

Thank you everyone for your kind words it is very much appreciated :)

I had my assessment this afternoon, I think it went ok although I worried throughout that my words word get twisted but think she got what I was trying to say. She asked lots of questions which sounded like she wanted a more in depth to what my difficulties were, than what was put on the forms. I suppose now it's the waiting game, she said it can take quite a while before I hear what their decision is.

Good luck to your also @trishrhymes will have my fingers crossed for you too that their decision goes your way, we should hear roughly around the same time. :) I think I might do what you suggest I love a good comedy!

Ellie_Finesse

Just wanted to let you all know that I got PIP :) not sure what rate I have got but it looks like I have got higher rate mobility and lower rate for care.

I can't believe I got it first time without any problems. Have heard so many stories of how claimants have struggled to get it! For all those people who are claiming for disability benefits, if you do get turned down first time, don't give up, keep fighting.

Jessie 107

Just wanted to let you all know that I got PIP :) not sure what rate I have got but it looks like I have got higher rate mobility and lower rate for care.

I can't believe I got it first time without any problems. Have heard so many stories of how claimants have struggled to get it! For all those people who are claiming for disability benefits, if you do get turned down first time, don't give up, keep fighting.
Hello,
Really pleased for you and great to be excepted first time with going through any stress of having to appeal.
I am going to be applying myself soon. Can I ask what evidence you had to supply? I only have my doctor (who now doesn't know how much I have got worse) and I have an appointment with the me/cfs clinic at the end August. I am hoping they they will confirm diagnosis, and then I plan to apply.
Regards
Jessie

Jessie 107

Hi Jessie

I wish I had got help with it earlier- we only did after my Mandatory Reconsideration failed. I have a tonne of very good evidence- it hasn't helped. CAB can give you free and excellent support and advice- and will deal with all the paperwork for you.

Good luck!

Helen
Hello Helen,
Sorry to hear that your application wasn't successful and also the fact that you have a lot of evidence, just not right at all.
I am now not sure that I do have enough evidence, sounds like you have alot more than I do. But thanks for the advice about the citizens advice I will look in it.
I hope your appeal is a successful one.
Jessie.

trishrhymes

Hello Helen,
Sorry to hear that your application wasn't successful and also the fact that you have a lot of evidence, just not right at all.
I am now not sure that I do have enough evidence, sounds like you have alot more than I do. But thanks for the advice about the citizens advice I will look in it.
I hope your appeal is a successful one.
Jessie.

I don't think it's about amount of evidence. Sadly, it seems to be more about the integrity of the person doing the medical assessment and the people making the decision.

I got PIP with a CAB worker filling in my form for me who knew how to put the answers so they were both true and expressed in a way to get the points.

I had a doctor's report from my GP who confirmed the diagnosis, stated briefly my limitations and care needs and said I would need to have the medical at home. That was the only evidence I was able to give because I don't have a consultant or any other medical input.

And the nurse from ATOS who did the PIP medical must have written a report based on what I told her, not made up stuff as I've gathered some do, and as I've experienced in the past. That is a matter of luck, sadly.

So what you need is a form filled in to make your limitations and needs clear, only saying you can do something if you can do it without pain, repeatedly and in a timely manner. The MEA has a guide, if you can't get help.

They are more interested in how your illness limits your ability to do things, rather than the name of your illness. In that sense, a report from a carer saying what they need to do for you is probably more useful than a high status doctor confirming a diagnosis.

charles shepherd

Basic information on PIP applications, paperwork, medical assessments, reconsiderations and appeals from the MEA:

1 Notes on House of Lords meeting with Dr Ian Gargan, Chief Medical Officer at Capita, to discuss DWP medical assessments:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/2016/10/pip-medical-assessments-with-capita-meeting-at-house-of-lords-next-tuesday-21-october-2016/

2 PIP checker from the DWP

The DWP has produced a useful website checker that you can fill in to find out if you can claim PIP and what will happen if you apply for PIP
You can use this tool to check:

• if PIP affects you or someone you care for
  • how PIP will affect your child
  • when you can make a new claim for PIP or you are transferring from DLA to PIP

https://www.gov.uk/pip-checker

3 FILLING IN THE APPLICATION FORMS

We have a very comprehensive MEA guide to filling in the PIP application forms
The MEA guide goes through ALL the PIP questions and how to answer them in relation to ME/CFS
It also emphasises some of the key points that we have been discussing with the DWP in relation to PIP - eg that you are able to carry out the activities being assessed in a way that is reliable, repeatable, safe to yourself and others, and carried out in a timely manner

People have found this guide to be very successful in relation to obtaining this new benefit

MEA guide to PIP and other DWP benefits:
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/shop/benefits-leaflets/

4 ATTENDING A MEDICAL ASSESSMENT

The CAB have a very useful guide to all aspects of the medical assessment with Atos, Capita or Maximus:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/b...p-with-your-esa-claim/esa-medical-assessment/

If you are unable to travel to an assessment centre, the medical assessment can be carried out out in your home.
Contact the assessment centre, explain your situation, and obtain written support from your GP if there is a reluctance to do a home assessment.

Please note that this assessment is not carried out by the DWP - the report on your condition is then sent to the Decision Maker at the DWP

5 RECONSIDERATION PROCESS

If your application has been refused there is an initial mandatory reconsideration process

6 GOING TO APPEAL

In relation to an appeal, there are several things people can do to increase the chance of winning an appeal. These include:

a Obtaining good supportive (written) medical evidence to support your case. In relation to PIP, this can come from people involved with your care (eg a care or social worker if one is involved) and any health professional who is involved with your care (eg OT, physio, nurse) in addition to your GP and/or consultant
b Turning up in person at the appeal
c Getting feedback from people with ME/CFS who have been through the appeal process - you could do this by using MEA Facebook where we have over 6,000 regular members who are always willing to pass on this sort of practical feedback

7 USEFUL VIDEOS

In addition, this is a useful source of information on preparing for an appeal from the MInistry of Justice:
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/sscs001a-eng.pdf

This video, made by the Ministry of Justice with an introduction by Dr Jane Rayner, Senior Medical Adviser, First Tier Tribunal. Dr Rayner is a very kind and helpful doctor whom I have met at the House of Lords, is also useful - although it refers to ESA:

Minutes for meeting at House of Lords with Dr Rayner:
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-me-group-minutes-of-meeting-26-january-2011/

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA