• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pink Urine with Methyl- but not with Hydroxo-

I received an injection of 1mg Methylcobalamin and soon after pissed beautiful pink urine. A week later I tried an equal injection of Hydroxocobalamin without any sign of excretion in my urine. Does this mean that HydroxyB12 is stored by the body (since it's the form found in food) while MethylB12 is used immediately by an active process? I did experience a bout of euphoria and relaxation after the Methyl- which quickly passed. Hydroxo- did not produce any noticeable effects/symptoms.

Critterina

Someone might know this: Is HydroxyB12 pink like methylb12 is, before you take it? It could be excreting, just not in a pink form.

SOC

Someone might know this: Is HydroxyB12 pink like methylb12 is, before you take it? It could be excreting, just not in a pink form.
Yes, hydroxy is pink too.

I was once told that you knew you were taking enough (or just too much) B12 when you started peeing pink. I don't really buy it. It certainly didn't work for me. I can take massive doses of B12 (any form) and never pee pink.

Yes, hydroxy is pink too.

I was once told that you knew you were taking enough (or just too much) B12 when you started peeing pink. I don't really buy it. It certainly didn't work for me. I can take massive doses of B12 (any form) and never pee pink.

Were you taking these massive doses orally? Any B12 that isn't picked up by Intrinsic Factor will most likely be excreted in your feces/bile, not your urine. I think the pink urine is a better testament to injections or sublingual applications.

Also I'm pretty sure the pink color has to do with the presence of the cobalt atom which exists regardless of the type of B12.

adreno

PR activist
Any B12 that isn't picked up by Intrinsic Factor will most likely be excreted in your feces/bile, not your urine. I think the pink urine is a better testament to injections or sublingual applications.
I think you just answered your own question.

Critterina

I think you just answered your own question.
But they were both injections, so there's still the storage question.
Edit: what's interesting is that there was an effect from the methyl but not the hydroxy. Makes me wonder if the MTRR SNP is at play (check my signature for which one), in which case the hydroxy might not be very effective for Oner.

SOC

Were you taking these massive doses orally? Any B12 that isn't picked up by Intrinsic Factor will most likely be excreted in your feces/bile, not your urine. I think the pink urine is a better testament to injections or sublingual applications.

Also I'm pretty sure the pink color has to do with the presence of the cobalt atom which exists regardless of the type of B12.
I was taking high doses sublingually, not by injection. My guess is that excess B12 taken sublingually doesn't excrete in urine, either.