• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phylogeny-Directed Search for Murine Leukemia Virus-Like Retroviruses in Vertebrate G

Deatheye

Phylogeny-Directed Search for Murine Leukemia Virus-Like Retroviruses in Vertebrate Genomes and in Patients Suffering from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndromeand Prostate Cancer

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/av/2011/341294/

Coclusion
Research on XMRV/HMRV in humans is evolving rapidly. There is a great need for confirmation of the reports on XMRV/HMRVs in PC and ME/CFS. In view of the recently demonstrated diversity of retroviral sequences in ME/CFS, it is also important to establish the detection range of XMRV/HMRV detection methods. Contamination of cell cultures with 22Rv1 virus and PCRs with MLV nucleic acid and mouse DNA is known to occur. Whether all reports on MLLVs in humans can be explained by them is uncertain, but not unlikely. The XMRV/HMRV story has both credible and less credible aspects (Table 1). The original XMRV detection in prostate cancer was serendipitous and made with several independent techniques, together forming a credible case. The proven integration into human DNA was especially convincing. The finding of XMRV/HMRV in ME/CFS also has a credible aspect; the immunomodulating properties of MLLVs could theoretically explain the disease. However, the epidemiology of XMRV/HMRV transmission still is unclear. The absence of an easily measurable immune response is also a memento.

We conclude that MLLVs are widespread as ERVs among vertebrates. There are many signs of interspecies transmission of MLLVs. However, only a few of the MLLVs are structurally intact. The mouse genome is unique in its high content of MLLVs. It contains three major MLLV groups, of which two (G1 and G2) have not hitherto been reported. Group G3 contains the MLVs and all or nearly all of the MLV-like retroviruses which have so far been detected in humans, that is, XMRV and HMRV.

The study of XMRV/HMRV is important from a range of perspectives, one of which is screening of blood donors for potentially harmful pathogens. Xenotropic viruses also raise concerns regarding research into xenotransplantation of organs [16].

The detection of human infection with XMRV/HMRV has proven to be difficult. This may either be due to absence of the virus or to a low-grade infection, with a minimal viral replication and a minimal serological response. Although that goes contrary to expectations, such a situation sometimes occurs in HTLV and HIV infections.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
When I read this I get a sense that there is some backsliding going on regarding contamination: ie the door has opened slightly in our favor. Whether it amounts to anything tangible is another thing.

alex3619

Hi, I haven't read this paper in detail yet, only skimmed it, but the lead author Jonas Blomberg has written a similar piece before that I summarized in a previous thread. In general I like what I have read although I need to read this paper in detail before commenting on specifics. His earlier paper is the source of my repeated statement that MLLVs are a vertebrate virus, not necessarily just mammals. We have no idea at all how widespread they are. It is highly unlikely, given the evolutionary time frames, that humans cannot and do not carry some members of this virus family. I would like to see some serious deep genome sequencing of a sizable number of healthy people and PWMEs. Bye, Alex