• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phenibut to help taper off Klonopin?

Nielk

Has anyone had any experience aking the supplement phenibut. (GABA based)
I was told to take it while tapering off of Klonopin.
Any suggestions?

GhostGum

Who told you to do that? Because ironically phenibut has similar tolerance issues to benzos and real nasty withdrawal although it is probably less addictive.

Have used it many times over the years, a MUCH better alternative to benzos for anxiety, because it does a similar job without effecting your mental state, judgement or turning you into a total zombie which can happen on benzos; being a nootropic phenibut can actually improve your mental state. You just need to watch the dose, I would say 500mg's max daily and once you are off klonopin take it down to 500mg's once every two days, then if you plan to use it in the future more regularly you need to cycle on and off it.

Have read a few times some people thinking phenibut is perfectly safe with no sides, taking up to 2-3grams a day and boy did they get a surprise when trying to come off it, its a real ugly thing; I have had bad sides from taking around 800mg's-1g daily for a few weeks.

I just heard that Dr Klimas has said Klonopin can have a negative effect on your immune system. What about phenibut? Are there other anti-anxiety meds that DO NOT affect the immune system and if so, what are they? I have been on benzos for YEARS. I expect that they are not good for me, but I have panic disorder and generalized anxiety and don't know what else to do besides drug therapy and meditative techniques and dietary changes and reducing stress in my life... I feel like I am doing all I can and I STILL have sky high anxiety. Suggestions, anyone?
Linda

Nielk

Who told you to do that? Because ironically phenibut has similar tolerance issues to benzos and real nasty withdrawal although it is probably less addictive.

Have used it many times over the years, a MUCH better alternative to benzos for anxiety, because it does a similar job without effecting your mental state, judgement or turning you into a total zombie which can happen on benzos; being a nootropic phenibut can actually improve your mental state. You just need to watch the dose, I would say 500mg's max daily and once you are off klonopin take it down to 500mg's once every two days, then if you plan to use it in the future more regularly you need to cycle on and off it.

Have read a few times some people thinking phenibut is perfectly safe with no sides, taking up to 2-3grams a day and boy did they get a surprise when trying to come off it, its a real ugly thing; I have had bad sides from taking around 800mg's-1g daily for a few weeks.

A nutritionist I consulted with said that he has helped a number of people get off Klonopin (which I wat to do) using Phenibut but, when I looked it up, I saw the same thing you told me; people have withdrawal symptoms coming off the phenibut too. I don't know if I'm ready to go on something else that I can't withdraw from. I have had too many horrors with this experience. That's why I was asking about people's experiences with it. I pretty much decided to try it without any substitutes first and if I have a very hard time then I would add the phenibut. I think it's still a lesser evil than Klonopin which I'm stuck on taking 3mg every day for the past 5 years!
Thanks for your reply.

Nielk

I just heard that Dr Klimas has said Klonopin can have a negative effect on your immune system. What about phenibut? Are there other anti-anxiety meds that DO NOT affect the immune system and if so, what are they? I have been on benzos for YEARS. I expect that they are not good for me, but I have panic disorder and generalized anxiety and don't know what else to do besides drug therapy and meditative techniques and dietary changes and reducing stress in my life... I feel like I am doing all I can and I STILL have sky high anxiety. Suggestions, anyone?
Linda

Hi Linda,

I don't really have the problem of anxiety (except when I try to taper off from Benzos) but, I just started taking this magnesium supplement powder called Calm from Natural Vitality. (it says; the anti-stress drink)
I do feel calmer then my usual. I'm sure others can give you better advice with this.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i have used phenibut. Initially it worked really well but needed high doses 2000-3000mg from memory. Smaller doses did nothing.I didnt use this supp every day but it did eventually stop working and this tolerence seemed to happened alot quicker then benzo's. I had no withdrawals or anything when i wasnt or stopped using it.

cheers!!

GhostGum

Nielk it is still probably worth a try, it would be much better taking around 500mg's of phenibut every couple of days than being stuck on Klonopin. Using it only every second day tolerance is not an issue and the beauty of phenibut is it can last well up to and beyond 12 hours for some people; can be great to help with sleep, taking it several hours before bed and can last half the whole next day. Certainly little harm in trying it as a replacement, as long as you are someone who can control doses well.

An off topic interesting fact about it also is I have read it is a hang over preventative, taken an hour before drinking and you can wake up with no hang over at all; not that I would probably want to be mixing it with alcohol.