• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peter White "retiring from research at the end of this year"

Wolfiness

Activity Level 0
Fact: Prominent academics do not "retire from research" at White's age unless they are incredibly sick or facing threats of serious litigation.

How old is he? I thought he was approaching retirement age enough to want to get shot of this whole drama of his own accord.

'Advisory role' might just be a polite way of saying 'put out to grass'.

I guess an "advisory role" means that he cannot be held accountable.

I would hope that "will have an advisory role" may be face saving speak for putting him out to grass. Accountability would inevitably take longer, maybe much longer, but this could be a good first step. I doubt he is going willingly.

Art Vandelay

It is unacceptable that they continue to collaborate with a fraudster that has exploited patients to advance his own interests. See PACE.

Both Crawley and White orchestrated a smear campaign against patients critical of their work. The tribunal hearing in the ICO vs QMUL case showed that the accusations of death threats and harassment were baseless. Legitimate criticism and requests for data were conflated with harassment - this only served the purpose of protecting bad science produced by the BPS lobby from being exposed.

They have repeatedly demonstrated their incompetence in matters of research, producing one flawed study after another, wasting resources and producing nothing of value for patients.

Research is moving towards democratisation. White and Crawley are despised by patients and need to go.

Spot on. Both White and Crawley have demonstrated that they are completely unfit for any role in research or in treating patients.

Not only are they incompetent, their research as evidenced by PACE looks very much like fraud. In addition, they are ethically and morally bankrupt, as evidenced by:
  • lying about patient harassment and death threats;
  • continually lying about and misrepresenting legitimate criticisms of PACE;
  • not declaring conflicts of interest to patients taking part in the PACE trial; and
  • not sharing data.
People like this have no place in research, academia or the health system. If this proposed MEGA project is going to be at all credible, it cannot have any association with White and Crawley whatsoever.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Spot on. Both White and Crawley have demonstrated that they are completely unfit for any role in research or in treating patients.

Not only are they incompetent, their research as evidenced by PACE looks very much like fraud. In addition, they are ethically and morally bankrupt, as evidenced by:
  • lying about patient harassment and death threats;
  • continually lying about and misrepresenting legitimate criticisms of PACE;
  • not declaring conflicts of interest to patients taking part in the PACE trial; and
  • not sharing data.
People like this have no place in research, academia or the health system. If this proposed MEGA project is going to be at all credible, it cannot have any association with White and Crawley whatsoever.

Don't forget the harm this particular flibbertigibbet (a doctor-friend of mine has attended the MRC meetings and I have selected this name based on witness accounts :D:wide-eyed:) has inflicted on a very fine, compassionate doctor who protected said Dr/Prof Flibbertigibbert's patients from the harm inflicted on them by her re-diagnosis of severe ME children with the label of Pervasive Refusal Syndrome, thus opening the gateway to medical abuse. She has 'neutralised' Dr Nigel Speight, a caring, outstanding doctor of integrity who was supporting the families she damaged by reporting him to the GMC in an organised campaign. There is nothing right or moral about her involvement in ME research......or any research.

PS. The term 'flibbertigibbet' when used in my childhood,........a short time after Noah landed the ark..................did not mean talkative which is a more modern interpretation.................it meant something else..........entirely.

Last edited:
On the other hand he could be moving on to greater things... House of Lords perhaps?

:alien::alien::alien::alien::devil::alien::alien::alien::alien:

That's him in the middle.
I think a well-paid position at an insurance company is more likely. That's where politicians usually go as a reward for years of screwing the voters in favor of business interests.

And I'd be willing to bet that "advisors" don't have to disclose conflicts of interest.

Art Vandelay

Don't forget the harm this particular flibbertigibbet (a doctor-friend of mine has attended the MRC meetings and I have selected this name based on witness accounts :D:wide-eyed:) has inflicted on a very fine, compassionate doctor who protected said Dr/Prof Flibbertigibbert's patients from the harm inflicted on them by her re-diagnosis of severe ME children with the label of Pervasive Refusal Syndrome, thus opening the gateway to medical abuse. She has 'neutralised' Dr Nigel Speight, a caring, outstanding doctor of integrity who was supporting the families she damaged by reporting him to the GMC in an organised campaign. There is nothing right or moral about her involvement in ME research......or any research.

PS. The term 'flibbertigibbet' when used in my childhood,........a short time after Noah landed the ark..................did not mean talkative which is a more modern interpretation.................it meant something else..........entirely.

Very true @Countrygirl, I left out the most important moral failing of these charlatans: the torture they have inflicted, not only on patients, but on compassionate and competent medical practitioners.

You're a kindly soul for using 'flibbertigibbet' to describe them. I come up with some pretty awful names to call them in my darker moments.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Very true @Countrygirl, I left out the most important moral failing of these charlatans: the torture they have inflicted, not only on patients, but on compassionate and competent medical practitioners.

You're a kindly soul for using 'flibbertigibbet' to describe them. I come up with some pretty awful names to call them in my darker moments.

I used 'flibbertigibbet' as this is a public forum. Like you @Art Vandelay , I can think of some far more appropriate names, but would it be wise to post the whole, unadulterated truth here? It might give admin some sleepless nights.

Chrisb

They say that success has many fathers whilst failure is an orphan. That is not entirely true in the case of PACE. It seems that it still has the traditional number of fathers. One.

Think how many more we would hear of had it been a success. All those names, on all those papers. What has become of them? Not a whistleblower amongst them. He must have been very persuasive must PDW to have fooled so many people for so much of the time.

So what is the outcome? A non resignation resignation and the retirement of a past retirement age administrator from QMUL.

Macavity of course saw the writing on the wall long ago, and as the moving finger wrote, he moved on. To mix my metaphors.

The silence from the others is eerie.

Its an old story. Time to move on.

Not b..... likely.

Art Vandelay

I used 'flibbertigibbet' as this is a public forum. Like you @Art Vandelay , I can think of some far more appropriate names, but would it be wise to post the whole, unadulterated truth here? It might give admin some sleepless nights.

;) The first version of my post did allude to one of the harsher descriptions I've used for the PACE fraudsters, but I edited it out after a bit of reflection.