• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Personalizing Diets Based on DNA Testing

Gemini

Nutrigenomix offers a health & wellness panel(45 genetic markers), 7 Gene test, & NGx Gluten test.

Has anyone had them? Am interested in cost & if they are home tests like 23 and Me? Or do you have to go to a clinic? Wonder if they'd help identify/manage ME/CFS food sensitivities?

https://www.nutrigenomix.com/tests-available

Read about them & nutrition/diet DNA testing in a Jan 12, 2016 New York Times article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/11/a-personalized-diet-better-suited-to-you/?_r=0

And Weizmann Institute's algorithm incorporating genetic testing, info on gut bacteria, and other factors is similar to the one Amazon uses to tell you which books you want to read. They just do it with food. Intriguing!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Gemini

Nutrigenomix offers a health & wellness panel(45 genetic markers), 7 Gene test, & NGx Gluten test.

Has anyone had them? Am interested in cost & if they are home tests like 23 and Me? Or do you have to go to a clinic? Wonder if they'd help identify/manage ME/CFS food sensitivities?

So I contacted Toronto-based Nutrigenomics by phone...

the cost of all 3 tests taken together is US$348 (tests can also be ordered separately).

One can either get them thru a clinic (website has a worldwide locator map) or like 23 and me they'll send you a home test kit. With the latter you get a 45-minute phone consult with an in-house dietician to review your test results.

Will they help with ME/CFS food sensitivities, we'll see....

Kathevans

This is very interesting. I first learned of the phrase Nutrigenomics from a former forum member ppodjahski, who somehow knew of or was connected with the Department of Nutrition at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, headed by Dr. Steven Zeisel (MD Harvard Medical; PhD in Nutrition MIT). Dr. Zeisel's work has been focussed on choline metabolism and the PEMT gene and in fact, I posted my own research into some of his work as the BRCA gene is in my family (though I missed that particular genetic issue). My thread can be found @ http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...od-of-thanks-to-ppodhajski.40755/#post-655551

ppodjahski seemed to have healed himself simply by looking at his genetic snps, fixing them with what cofactors he could and going on a low thiol diet. Sounded good to me.

I find this work incredibly compelling and imagine that one day--I hope soon--we'll just give a drop of blood, out snps will be analyzed and just like that, we'll have a list of the supps and amounts and dietary needs to resolve our health issues.

Nutrigenomix's algorithm seems to be squarely on this path. For the moment I'm not sure I'm ready for another financial output, and yet $348 isn't all that much, is it?

Thanks for the post.