• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Period of time to 'Heal' the gut and 'Restore' bacterial balance?

Timaca

It's taken me 3 years to make any progress, and I'd say the very long time w slow progress is because its so much trial and error... here's generally what I've learned:

1. stay open to trying things...
2. Don't get sucked into dogma (and Paleo can be super dogmatic, even though the principles of whole foods and clean eating is common sense)
3. Doing things at the right TIME is important, so staying open minded can mean going back and trying something again that didn't work the first time

I have had chronic gut infections for years, and I mean the type of infections where all I can do is go to bed... can't function much at all! Probiotics like soil based organisms (prescript assist) killed the bugs, they they didn't make me any stronger so I could avoid getting these bugs in the first place...

Here are specific things that worked for me plus some things that I learned:

1. I really have a problem w high histamine probiotics, which are almost all of them... Align, Culturelle, jarrow ideal bowel, prescript assist are all okay... a lot of advocates of probiotics will tell you that u need to take a broad spectrum probiotic without asking it you have histamine problems... the ones I mentioned are the best because they'll actually help CLEAR histamine, not throw fuel on the fire...

2. Eating a lot of fermented food and bone broth is often equal to consuming a ton of histamines... I make my own broth and don't cook for longer than 3hours; longer than this is too much for me personally... kimchi has l plantarum probiotic which helps DEGRADE histamine, so it's okay ( l plantarum is the strain that in jarrow ideal bowel)

3. Taking betaine hcl w pepsin has been a game changer ... see "low stomach acid" on dr myhill's site... it explains how low stomach acid has a domino effect on screwing up your gut flora ( in my case, making me more susceptible to infections) , and shutting down pancreatic enzymes...some have luck increasing stomach acid w other things like apple cider vinegar, bitters, etc Some take it for 3-4 months and their body starts producing it again so they can stop...

4. Taking proteolytic enzymes ( wobenzym & bromelain) has been amazing for pain (all over joint and muscle aches, sinus pain, and even brain fog -- my worst symptom!!) Wobenzym includes pancreatic enzymes... see how the puzzle of my screwed up gut is starting to fit together?? (See #3)

5. Zinc & glutamine- have been awesome for leaky gut... glutamine even helps w brain fog

6. Quercetin & rutin are awesome for allergies and histamine problems

7. Magnesium & malic acid are great for aches and pains, plus low level anxiety

8. SIBO herbs are effective when combined w a low carb diet for SIBO... google the Johns Hopkins study in SIBO to see results compared by protocol

A (conventional) doctor actually said to me, I wonder if low stomach is your root problem? As I was walking out the door!!. I didn't think too much of it at the time because how could such a simple thing cause me so much misery.. ha! Her grandfather died of celiac disease because in the old times no one could figure that a simple thing like gluten was the cause... I'm glad she thought to tell me about low stomach acid, but she didn't offer a next step, either..weird... so the moral or the story is "Be a detective - curious and open minded"

btw, I've read that a lot of ppl w AI disease have low stomach acid, so I have no idea if this is by any means the root cause of my illness, but it sure is a big "chip" if we're all chipping away at this CFS thing together

Best of luck
Thanks for sharing. I think I need to investigate the low stomach acid possibility in myself. I've had constant heartburn for a couple of years now. It comes and goes, but currently it is with me. I mean I even have heartburn in the morning after not eating for 9 hours!!!!!!!

ebethc

Thanks for sharing. I think I need to investigate the low stomach acid possibility in myself. I've had constant heartburn for a couple of years now. It comes and goes, but currently it is with me. I mean I even have heartburn in the morning after not eating for 9 hours!!!!!!!

Yes, totally bizarre that low stomach acid causes heartburn! Most ppl think it's the opposite

ebethc

I use Thorne betaine hcl w pepsin (pepsin is an enzyme that stomach acid helps create)

I've used urban moonshine digestive bitters, which i liked but wasn't strong enough... I might go back to it later...

Supposedly, stomach acid also helps stimulate bile to breakdown fats, too... I'm not taking this but some take formulas w bile or lipase to help jumpstart their digestive problems

Good luck

Basilico

Florida
@jepps
Also people on other posts in this forum have suggested Bone broth for healing and Water Kefir for replacing probiotics, does anyone have experience with these? I react very badly to Glutamine so have been wary of Bone Broth, also I have a slight histamine reaction from milk kefir so not sure if the same would happen with water based?

Years ago, I was a low carb paleo eater, then switched to high-fat (still low carb) primal. It was during this time that my IBS-C started getting especially bad. I was intermittent fasting for awhile, because the research behind it sounded good, but it wreaked havoc on my GI system. I just can not handle huge amounts of food at one time.

I wouldn't say that I'm cured, as my IBS-C occasionally flares up a little, but it is drastically better now than it was then. What helped me might not help you, so I will tell you what I did and you can decided if any of it makes sense for you.

1) smaller more frequent meals

2) eliminate (or at least drastically reduce) non-soluble fiber. I had been eating a lot of vegetables, especially salads, and it turned out these were doing more harm than good. I switched to soluble fiber only (like pectin), which I could tolerate just fine. Even now, I am careful to not consume too much non-soluble fiber. I'm also no longer low carb, which I realized after a year that my body wasn't tolerating very well. I function much better with higher carbs.

3) I made bone broth and consumed it almost daily. I understand that you have a histamine issue. The long you cook bone broth, the more histamine it has. Some histamine-sensitive people are able to consume it if they don't cook it the whole day, but maybe cook it for an hour or two. Still better than nothing. If you still don't tolerate it, have you tried just buying grass-fed gelatin? Great Lakes is a great brand. You can stir it into some other kind of soup, or make a 'jello' out of it, or take it however you like. My husband went through a period where he had a lot of trouble with histamine (the problem disappeared on it's own) and he used these pills called Histame that often helped a lot. I think they contain enzymes that the body should produce to break down histamine.

4) I took a lot of probiotics, both in homemade lactofermented foods like yogurt (which are transitory and not super helpful) as well as human strains (like Mutaflor, Miyarisin, Reuteri, etc...) which do colonize the gut, produce vitamins, and effect neurotransmitters. Unfortunately, you probably won't get a lot of benefit just from lactofermented stuff like water kefir, but if you tolerate, it's worth a try to see if it improves anything.

Over time, I slowly got better. I went from being doubled up in the fetal position in pain and not having BM for months to being more or less regular and not really having issues. The improvement was a slow process, it will not get better overnight. I never had any testing, so I don't know if I had/or have leaky gut.

Prebiotics (like unmodified potato starch aka resistant starch) do feed the good bacteria, but it can also feed the bad bacteria, so you have to be a bit careful with it. My husband tried taking the potato starch but he had some GI problems with it. However, after doing a really intense Mutaflor protocol, he tolerates it just fine now (he uses it to keep his blood glucose in check when he eats a bigger carb meal). I've read that it might not be a good idea to take resistant starch until after you are confident you've got your gut flora in good shape.

Last edited: